Long point

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...thats an incredible find. I would be ecstatic. How bout some cleaned up pics. Not being a NA hunter, I would have to say if I were I would think it a banner point.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm confused. You found this point, a 9 1/2" point and a bannerstone all with 24" of each other? Hmmm. Either your one extremely lucky being, or where your found these is loaded with artifacts or...
Maybe you could share more about this site?

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony is this site that is "26 miles off of the last named road" really just a few yards to the east of Christine drive in Russell county?

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm confused. You found this point, a 9 1/2" point and a bannerstone all with 24" of each other? Hmmm. Either your one extremely lucky being, or where your found these is loaded with artifacts or...
Maybe you could share more about this site?

I found the other long point two weeks ago. Last weekend we took shovels and loosened up a lot of the clay bank, anticipating rain. We weren't expecting another long point, and surely not a bannerstone. We've found about 8-10 large scrapers, 4"-5" long there as well. It's in a clearcut on the edge of a bottom, and about 1/2 mile or so away from the site where we've been finding copper. The majority of the clear cut is typical soil, this is just a small washout with a great deal of clay. When it rains again we'll probably find more flint tools there because we knocked down some more dirt.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Tony is this site that is "26 miles off of the last named road" really just a few yards to the east of Christine drive in Russell county?

Lol. No, but that is where my deer hunting club and camp called Hawk Hill is. We went there to eat lunch today. How did you know that?

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site is a killer site. I once had a site where I found 2 six inch points, one complete bannerstone, and a grooved axe. I'm kidding, my best site never produced a 5 inch point, no complete bannerstones, and I've never seen a grooved axe in NW FL. But I do have a lot of field grade points. Congrats on another great find.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
Why does your bannerstone have numerous fresh scratches all over the surface and the blade has absolutely no edge or ridge-flake weathering associated with an ancient artifact? An undisturbed-freshly dug bannerstone just doesn't look like that. I get the feeling that someone is playing a joke on you or you are creating a fantasy scenario for us. More experienced artifact collectors can't be fooled very easily.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That site is a killer site. I once had a site where I found 2 six inch points, one complete bannerstone, and a grooved axe. I'm kidding, my best site never produced a 5 inch point, no complete bannerstones, and I've never seen a grooved axe in NW FL. But I do have a lot of field grade points. Congrats on another great find.

I've found two 5" points prior, but that's it. One was in a plowed watermelon field outside of Tallahassee and the other was on the bank of the Ochlocknee River.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Why does your bannerstone have numerous fresh scratches all over the surface and the blade has absolutely no edge or ridge-flake weathering associated with an ancient artifact? An undisturbed-freshly dug bannerstone just doesn't look like that. I get the feeling that someone is playing a joke on you or you are creating a fantasy scenario for us. More experienced artifact collectors can't be fooled very easily.

I couldn't tell you; it looks pretty worn to me. I'm just showing you what was there.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. No, but that is where my deer hunting club and camp called Hawk Hill is. We went there to eat lunch today. How did you know that?

Well I started thinking that there isn't a place in Alabama that is twenty six miles from the last named road. There probably isn't a place even 10 miles from the last named road. So I started digging and before you know it I found your site. I could be wrong but it fits the description. Other than the alternative fact of it being 26 miles from the last named road? Close to a creek and an area recently logged with recent digging activity.

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
What type of material is your bannerstone made of? In Ohio, we find mostly slate and when you see slate with light colored scratches on the surface it indicates something that was recently done. Maybe its the lack of a freeze thaw cycle in Florida, but our points in Ohio have a much more weathered look to them. I do see a small spot at one of the base corners that looks like you might have chipped it.

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I started thinking that there isn't a place in Alabama that is twenty six miles from the last named road. There probably isn't a place even 10 miles from the last named road. So I started digging and before you know it I found your site. I could be wrong but it fits the description. Other than the alternative fact of it being 26 miles from the last named road? Close to a creek and an area recently logged with recent digging activity.

Well if you find anything there please let me know. I've walked that land ad nauseum and found nothing but flint chips and some broken pottery. That's our deer hunting camp. You obviously don't know Alabama well, because nearly everywhere is logged heavily. Nice of you to do that, by the way. Why in the world? You want to post my home address as well?

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What type of material is your bannerstone made of? In Ohio, we find mostly slate and when you see slate with light colored scratches on the surface it indicates something that was recently done. Maybe its the lack of a freeze thaw cycle in Florida, but our points in Ohio have a much more weathered look to them. I do see a small spot at one of the base corners that looks like you might have chipped it.

It looks to be slate. It's not native stone, I can tell you that. We may have hit it with a shovel before, but typically you can feel when you hit something hard. I haven't had a chance to look under a magnifier yet. You sound like you know quite a bit about bannerstones. There is no absolute consensus on their usage, and although most are called ceremonial, some are obviously worn and were utilitarian. What are your thoughts?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the point and bannerstone were dug together, why are the soil types so different on the blade and in the banner hole?

I've kept my mouth shut through all this, but hell, I wouldn't believe it if I dug all this myself. Not one speck of the dirt immediately surrounding each find looks like that associated with anything I've ever dug. Every bit looks disturbed and Tony, this should send up red flags for you as well.

Also, usually there is some type of common theme that develops with a site as artifacts are found whether in material, types, patination, etc. even in long-term occupation, multi-component sites. So far, nothing of the sort is evident. There just seems to be a Duke's mixture of finds with no rhyme or reason to the assortment, once again, so far.

No accusations here towards you, Tony. I hope that my doubts are proven unfounded, but as I said, I wouldn't believe this if I dug the finds myself.

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the picture with the dollar bill, George Washington is winking!........haha ....just kidding, but he is as lucky as a two peckered goat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread