South Carolina points

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to go down to the swamp this weekend. My nephew got a four foot probe and found 2 points with the probe.
Anyone else use probes?
Here are the pictures enjoy.

DSC_0518.JPG DSC_0519.JPG DSC_0524.JPG DSC_0526.JPG day1.JPG day22.JPG day21.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you find a point with a probe? Nice colors on those

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds .... I was also gonna ask if you had pics or videos of how you are probing. I have a few spots that are loaded but there's a ton of mud and clay over them.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wachoo talkin bout probe!!!! how is that done?...sign me up!

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you tell when its a point and not just a rock? Never tried but interested

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amen,i could see it happen.and hear that sound also..oh that sound.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of that approach before. But now that I think of it why not. When the probe goes down and hits glass it does have a distinct sound to it. Many points are Quartz or related to it so I could see how it could work. I have a spot that would be perfect for an experiment and I'm going to give it a shot when it gets a little warmer. Awesome finds by the way!!

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
My friend & I use a thin, hollow, aluminum tube about 3 feet long & our goal around these suspicious mounds/depressions is to HIT POTTERY. It's more abundant & gives a very distinct hollow "THUD". This won't be effective in most areas, but wooded areas with soil might be worth it. I started with a knowledgeable friend, a google satellite search along local rivers & a cheap metal detector. I tapped a nice adze last fall in my first couple pokes with a probe one day. They are are waste of time in many (stoney) regions, but awsome time savers for others. Nice finds Triumph! Congrats!

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I all sorry about the late response been travelling all week.

I used a bottle probe. It's 4' spring steel rod with a t handle and a ball tip on it. I dug up a few rocks and a bunch of flakes and some pottery. I'm learning the different sound from the thin chert compared to the pottery and rocks. I like the excitement of each target. The first one just flipped out when digging it up but the nice material one was deep and I felt nothing but tip with my hands. It was a rush digging it out. The negative is I'm messing up my site for digging because I'm not motivated to dig out a site after I probed a few from that area. I guess that's the positives and negatives.

Hope that helps. It is 4 ft long and you just slide it in the soil and the chert kind of pings where pottery or rocks are more dull thud.
If you have dug using a screen sifter you will know what I mean.

The ball on the end of the probe really helps you can run it up and down on the flake/point to get used to the sound.
If you guys want I can post where we got it from.

Thanks for the responses.

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend & I use a thin, hollow, aluminum tube about 3 feet long & our goal around these suspicious mounds/depressions is to HIT POTTERY. It's more abundant & gives a very distinct hollow "THUD". This won't be effective in most areas, but wooded areas with soil might be worth it. I started with a knowledgeable friend, a google satellite search along local rivers & a cheap metal detector. I tapped a nice adze last fall in my first couple pokes with a probe one day. They are are waste of time in many (stoney) regions, but awsome time savers for others. Nice finds Triumph! Congrats!

Thanks this is in the swamp with almost no rocks and sand. Not sure you could do this with a clay subsoil. We are just tired of digging out all of the roots.
I was really surprised to find what we did with the probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread