Stone Pendant with Tally Marks

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found something at my predominantly woodland site... a tallied pendant. Do you guys thing this is complete (as in one that is tied) or is it broken (as in the part with the hole is broken off?) Both sides have tally marks... the right side is clear in the photos... the left side has one clear tally mark and two smaller ones below it (that are hard to see in the photo.) I have included a picture of the bottom or top... you can see it's a bit rough which would make me thing it's broken, but maybe not necessary... all photos I've seen would have a hole on the narrow end, not the fat end... so maybe this is complete? Thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece,I like finding personal things. Looks to me like a nice pendant in the making. Maybe drilling the hole came last on that one and life got in the way and it was not finished. Do you know what it is made of?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't you just tell us all here?

Whatever it is, it looks like it was broken and salvaged from the end picture. Nice find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Filmracle...........That is an interesting find and I feel it is complete. Rather than a pendant I think it was a sinew stone used to smooth off the little pieces of leather that stand up, making the string more consistent. If you notice some of the grooves are larger exhibiting more use or a thicker cord. This is all speculation but if the stone is not slate or canal coal ( too soft) it could have bee used as such. Nice find!

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't break no rules that way

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Filmracle...........That is an interesting find and I feel it is complete. Rather than a pendant I think it was a sinew stone used to smooth off the little pieces of leather that stand up, making the string more consistent. If you notice some of the grooves are larger exhibiting more use or a thicker cord. This is all speculation but if the stone is not slate or canal coal ( too soft) it could have bee used as such. Nice find!

i like this explanation.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...That is an interesting find and I feel it is complete... Nice find!

Whatever it is, I too believe it is complete, but still salvaged from something else. Sort of like this cone I found years ago. All there, but made from the poll end of a broken celt.

cone.jpg cone1.jpg

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's something similar that I found at a site here in Southwest Georgia. I believe that it is a broken end of a necklace piece.

Attachments

• 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone. I did consider a sinew stone as well, but I do believe it's a pendant (and probably made of cannel coal... maybe slate.) If it's a sinew stone or pendant... it's good enough for me. And whether it's complete or not is up for debate, but I like the idea of it being complete better :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread