The first of this type I've found..Dalton?

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I found this in the field the farmer cleared with a dozer. It is the first of this type I've found in this area. I search my neighbors fields here in Webster County Missouri near Laclede County. Can someone please identify this point for me, Thank you. In my image search Dalton was the only similar point I could find that resembles this point.
20170304_061039.jpg

20170304_061024.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Congratulations! Very nice Dalton and I love the color of the broken piece. Do you have an idea on what material it is?

I think the material is chert, but I'm not the right person to answer that question. I love the pink, and I find alot of worked material in this color. It makes them easier to find, because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Nice Dalton. Matt is right, as usual, they aren't really considered late paleo anymore (they were considered to be paleonfor a long time.) But Bruce Bradley and other archaeologists frequently use the term Dalton Period for the 600 year or so window when these points were made.

They probably lived a paleo lifestyle, seasonally nomadic, no village structure known, etc. but by date it was the early archaic. The landscape where they lived was drier than before and they probably hunted smaller animals. They had also developed a bit more of a ceremonial cult and had burial grounds that they presumably returned to periodically.

The females of our species frequently do that.

I mostly find small points, so it makes sense that this tribe hunted small game. There must have been a sizable tribe where I hunt. I have hunted seven fields in the same vicinity, and every field had different offerings. One field was nearly all debitage, cores, blanks, garbage bin stuff with the exception of one bird point. Another field I found one whole mano and one broke. I am sad that I can't hunt that one anymore. The field that was dozed has thrown out alot of material. Almost too much it's like trying to fund a needle in a haystack. I was looking around where there is a steep slope and one thing I noticed was a ton of fossilized rock and petrified wood. It would make alot of sense that these tribes moved around, because I have yet to find personal items. One farmer said there was a pipe found in one of the fields, but to me it's a rumor. If I had to guess from the evidence I've seen that these were likely manufacturing sites. There is a ton of reworked, trash, unfinished stuff.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough call on that one. Seeing a little LeCroy going on there, too.

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... Is it possible to get some input on what it could be? ...

Perhaps it looked something like the "Frankenstone" below? Actually, looking at the prospective size of the base, I guess the top conjecture is too narrow?

--GHP

Edit: Heck ... I made it look too much like a fleur-de-lis.

Attachments

• Franken-Stone.jpg
    Franken-Stone.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Perhaps it looked something like the "Frankenstone" below? Actually, looking at the prospective size of the base, I guess the top conjecture is too narrow?

--GHP

Wow, that is pretty close, but I can't say for sure I'm a novice. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri

--GHP

Oh, my bad. You photoshopped what you think it may have looked like. FACEPALM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread