SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
HI,

I was recently cleaning out my parents house, and I came across a ring box containing this arrowhead. My mother grew up on a dairy farm in central MInnesota, and I remember as a kid, her telling me about the time she found an arrowhead in one of their fields. I never saw that point, and she never talked about it except maybe once or twice. Well, imagine my surprise when I found this. I'm hoping this is the very artifact that my mother found as a farm girl back in the 60's. She must have kept it all this time, so I would like to believe.

But on the other hand, once she married my father, the two of them did a lot of traveling. We all know that every museum gift shop and tourist attraction has "arrowheads" for sale. She could have just bought this piece, I can't rule that out. What makes me think it is authentic, is the way it was so carefully and safely tucked away with her other items of jewelry, as though it really meant something to her.

So, what do you guys and gals think? Genuine central MN artifact, or cheap gift shop knock off?

IMG_2546_zpsefusqbpw.jpg

IMG_2544_zpskgrqbi8t.jpg

IMG_2547_zpstiv90dqi.jpg

IMG_2549_zpstz82xudc.jpg

IMG_2548_zpske2ssd18.jpg

Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda looks like a gift shop arrowhead, as it's basically knocked out real quick to the basic form. Doesn't mean it didn't have significance to your mom though, and that makes it worth hanging on to.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just a guess but i think it is likely authentic looks like it was made to do a job not impress someone or be pleasing to the eye although it would be to my eye if i found it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see any patina on it..... Looks like a repro.

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I kind of thought it looked like a repro myself, and that's why I threw it out there for you guys to look at. It looks too smooth to me, with very little "work" done to it. I'm keeping it anyway, and will always remember it as the arrowhead my Mom had, regardless of where it came from. There is always the outside chance that that's it, but even if it's not, so what?

Thanks.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i too have seen very similar ones in gift shops...the material too.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whichever it is, I feel sure it must have had a great deal of significance to your mom. I have a buckeye my grandfather gave my dad and my dad carried that buckeye in the pocket of his coat for the rest of his life. That little buckeye means the world to me and I've kept it in a little box for over 24 years now. I'd say artifact or gift shop, your mom's arrowhead is most definitely a treasure :)

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the silver quarter.

Thanks. That belonged to my Mother as well. I found it in her baby piggy bank. It had a picture of a stork on the side, and only had 51 cents in it, two silver quarters and a wheat penny. She was raised up pretty poor, but only in the monetary sense. Those three coins I keep separate, and they hold a special place in my collection.

Chessmen Trip

Feb 6, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. That belonged to my Mother as well. I found it in her baby piggy bank. It had a picture of a stork on the side, and only had 51 cents in it, two silver quarters and a wheat penny. She was raised up pretty poor, but only in the monetary sense. Those three coins I keep separate, and they hold a special place in my collection.

That is pretty cool my friend.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just putting this out there as a thought and I'm by no means an authority at all but I've been told that the successive generations of Native Americans were notorious for recycling older broken points so ya'll don't yell at me for saying this. Do you think it could be a re-worked one of this type in this link? scroll to the bottom and you will see they don't have much flaking. Folsom Projectile Point The reason why I say this is I have a gift shop arrowhead somewhere and they work much harder to make it look genuine, at least on one side with the other side smooth to glue to a card or something. Food for thought anyway :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread