741.8 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking finds rock. You are definitely doing better than I am so far. I really like the Pottery Shard. Nice designs on that one.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds rock,i do not get to see pottery where i hunt,i like the points your getting too,but id love to get some pottery like that.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start to the year there, Rock. What is the pottery piece, a rim section?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking on my phone so, I can't see it too well but, I want to ask what is the item at the top left of the frame?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's quite a collection! Looks like 2017 is going to be a great year for you! What is the large find on the bottom right?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
all i ever see are shards shards shards....now i am familiar with SW ceramics...we all are...but ceramic traditions around NA are very different from area to area....that incised piece is really great....what do you suppose the pot looked like?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i ever see are shards shards shards....now i am familiar with SW ceramics...we all are...but ceramic traditions around NA are very different from area to area....that incised piece is really great....what do you suppose the pot looked like?

I usually only keep the sherds that I havent found yet and this one was really a cool design and shape to. The edge I am showing would of rolled over like a vase more than a pot. The lip is a L shape which is very different and I have never seen a vase or pot in any books with that design of a pot shape. I kinda of thought it might of been a stamp but to get a pic of it is tough to do. I will take it to the next show and see what they say on it. I have won some pottery awards but I found out why cause nobody enters so its always a easy win. Most guys say if you have seen 1 piece of pottery you have seen them all, lol.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking on my phone so, I can't see it too well but, I want to ask what is the item at the top left of the frame?

And I was hoping somebody would Id be happy to tell you about that one. I actually found it back in 2016 but put it in this frame due to it wasnt full yet. I posted it in another site and all that responded which wasnt many said they thought it was natural even the hole and the other side had a hole but broke off you can still see the area it would of been. Its made from pink slate and is thin. Kind of brittle now due to the age of it. I took it to the last show in a frame and everyone that came by and looked said Nice Gorget you found. So the moral of this story is not every item you post on the net can be seen very well all of the time and given the proper I.D. Especially something you havent seen before. Just cause you havent never seen one doesnt mean its natural. Glad I kept it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a collection! Looks like 2017 is going to be a great year for you! What is the large find on the bottom right?

Its a scraper made from a knocked off piece of rock has some flakes removed on both sides but still just a scraper. Interesting shape to it probably made in hast and used 1 time then tossed.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking finds rock. You are definitely doing better than I am so far. I really like the Pottery Shard. Nice designs on that one.

I will take them as they come but as far as real nice points only a couple nice ones so far. Lots of rain coming and going but not enough to do much good.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 2017 is going to be a rocking year for you Rock.:hello2:

I hope so Ive managed to get some nice properties with permission this year so far. Imo you can never have enough to look on. But it makes it a hard decision as to which one I am going to when I have the chance. Been a good year already with the Celt find.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Rock! I really like the material in your neck of the woods! Sorry, I've prob said that to you 20 times already. Hope you fill up a couple monster frames this year!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Rock! I really like the material in your neck of the woods! Sorry, I've prob said that to you 20 times already. Hope you fill up a couple monster frames this year!

Thanks, I have actually been finding some true black flint points this year which is a nice change. Nothing real glossy yet but there is all kinds of black flint in my area.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
That is a great piece of pottery! Would look good in any case/frame. Sherds like that are why I often leave the metal detector home. Designed pottery has a feeling to it. More so than most stone IMO. The designs better represent the maker. I've read here plain pottery represents hard times. They had higher priorities than designing. Whoever crafted that was doing just fine at the time. Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks it was a nice find for my pottery frame very neat design as that is a lip rim design never seen anything like it before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions