Snyder similarity but different base..?

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I forgot to post this yesterday. I found it in the dozer heaps I've been searching in the field. I was trying to determine what type it is. I saw a Snyder that was identical except the bottom of the base was curved.
20170323_181713.jpg

Upvote 0

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a Snyder or Thebes Variant. Nice find!!

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the projectile point guide and it says you have the Kirk Corner Notched point in your state and that is what it looks like to me

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I looked at the projectile point guide and it says you have the Kirk Corner Notched point in your state and that is what it looks like to me

The period would make more sense (early archaic) since it seems to be what I've been finding in this particular field. The base of the Kirk seems to match better also. I looked up thebes variety snyder, but isn't that mostly in Arkansas?

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The period would make more sense (early archaic) since it seems to be what I've been finding in this particular field. The base of the Kirk seems to match better also. I looked up thebes variety snyder, but isn't that mostly in Arkansas?

The Thebes seems to be a more side notched point and that one is corner notched

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. The Tangs, serrations, and the base all lead to Kirk Corner Notch. Those tangs would most likely have extended to the edge of the base.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice....I am still amazed that every day there are multiple, new finds posted.

How many people bother to post their finds on a forum? (a VERY small percentage I'm sure....)

There is so much out there, it's mind blowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread