Interesting little quartz piece

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first found this little guy I really did not think much of it. But at a second glance I think it is interesting. It is uniface, has a weird hump in the center, and also has some pretty deliberate looking notches on it. I am not sure if it was hafted or a hand held tool, but I do not think it is a reworked point, it looks too deliberate. What do you guys think? IMG_1980.JPG IMG_1987.JPG IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1989.JPG

Upvote 0

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does look curious! Really has the shape of an arrowhead on one side. Maybe that hump you mentioned caused it to split weird and it was tossed. Or just a coincidence. Was quartz used for arrowheads?

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Quartz arrowheads are very common in my area. I think though that since this one is unifaced that it is most likely some sort of scraper.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those uni ones were actually a type of hafted gouge the narrow section would of been in the handle and the fat end is the working end. I have 1 made out of quartz and some others made from flint. Is the hump towards the big end?

OP
OP
W

Wes213

Jul 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those uni ones were actually a type of hafted gouge the narrow section would of been in the handle and the fat end is the working end. I have 1 made out of quartz and some others made from flint. Is the hump towards the big end?

Thanks Rock! The hump seems to be pretty much in the center, I included a side view that does the best job I find to show the hump. So you are saying that the pointed end was hafted and the broad end was the working point? Like a hafted spokeshaves?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess a tool or knife could be it to

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some almost identical. I always figured they were culls. But I still kept it

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO the hump has you call it is where it was taken off of a larger piece, that is the shape you get when knapping and a lot of the time they would use a flake for a quick tool. Good eye:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread