1.2 MB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could have gotten some info on this Pipe before he was banned. This Pipe is supposed to be from my home county in Ohio and the only Hopewell Platform Pipes I have ever heard of found in my county were from the Tremper Mound and I haven't seen one like this from Tremper. I've never seen this piece published in any book or publication. I'm not saying it's a bad Pipe, but it raises some questions that need answered.

There were some plain Platforms types found at Tremper, but most all of the Effigy Pipes depicted the entire animal as you see in the link. The ones that were just a head had lots of detail. The other odd thing is what is an Effigy Pipe from Scioto county Ohio doing in Mexico and why would you pay 30 grand for it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tre...VK0YMKHVKnDeEQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could have gotten some info on this Pipe before he was banned. This Pipe is supposed to be from my home county in Ohio and the only Hopewell Platform Pipes I have ever heard of found in my county were from the Tremper Mound and I haven't seen one like this from Tremper. I've never seen this piece published in any book or publication. I'm not saying it's a bad Pipe, but it raises some questions that need answered.

There were some plain Platforms types found at Tremper, but most all of the Effigy Pipes depicted the entire animal as you see in the link. The ones that were just a head had lots of detail. The other odd thing is what is an Effigy Pipe from Scioto county Ohio doing in Mexico and why would you pay 30 grand for it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tre...VK0YMKHVKnDeEQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1

This is just gettin' crazier!!
#1 I think he was just being sarcastic with the "bought in Mexico" statement:dontknow:
#2 Grim: Do you think it is possible that there are a few "finds" out there that never make it into publications??
#3 I can't for the life of me tell the difference between a fake or an authentic piece (unless it's a really bad fake), from photographs. I do know one buyer that told me, he's been duped before, even after close examination with a loop. It can happen to anyone....
#4 JMHO

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 4 years I've been here there were only two members I clicked to ignore. That dude made number 3 today. No point in reading the writings of a disturbed mind.

Edit: I see there's been a lot of posts deleted. Good.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Somewhere in Mexico ,a guys standard of living increased substantially!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answered your questions.

This is just gettin' crazier!!
#1 I think he was just being sarcastic with the "bought in Mexico" statement:dontknow: I must have missed something in translation then.
#2 Grim: Do you think it is possible that there are a few "finds" out there that never make it into publications?? Sure, it's possible. But a find of this magnitude in my county with it's wealth of collectors for many many years I would think it would have been pictured and maybe it has and I've just never seen it. The only Scioto county collector that may have found this or owned this would most likely be Charlie Wertz. He was a developer in the late 1800's and early 1900's here is Portsmouth which had a large Hopewell Mound Complex and his crew would go through and level a mound, excavating all the artifacts from it and then build houses. His collection was astounding. His son Bill and the Bills wife Madeline became subsequent owners of the collection and while in Madeline's possession after Bill's death a lot of it was pilfered from her because she was senile. The man that basically stole the collection was caught and prosecuted and served time but a lot of the collection was never found.
#3 I can't for the life of me tell the difference between a fake or an authentic piece (unless it's a really bad fake), from photographs. I do know one buyer that told me, he's been duped before, even after close examination with a loop. It can happen to anyone.... I never said the Pipe was bad. It actually looks good to me from the pictures he provided. I would need to see inside the Bowl and Stem Hole to say for sure. It's just odd I've never seen or heard of this Pipe from my home county.
#4 JMHO And I thank you for your honest opinion. I give mine all the time and catch a lot flack for it at times. lol

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
No comment here on the odd posts, but I believe the relic is out of an old collection from my home town (it was an old collection when Meuser started collecting.) Moorehead pictured parts of it in his 1904 book. Likely as good as gold.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No comment here on the odd posts, but I believe the relic is out of an old collection from my home town (it was an old collection when Meuser started collecting.) Moorehead pictured parts of it in his 1904 book. Likely as good as gold.
Joshua your opinions are good as gold to me.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Meuser's collection of hundreds of pipes had some copies made after at least ones appearance. (?).

The Mexico connection ,then the price, both stand out as anomalies for Ohio artifacts ..in my not bidding or being in the trade opinion.
Not saying a pipe did not get sold there, or it's origins far from home where collections don't go wanting for buyers locally can't be proven ,though material's actual source may be.
If the buyer was accepting of offered provenance ,and the price ,so be it I guess.
A preoccupation with Fakes

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ons-gc95/123908-pipe-smoking-instrument-fakes

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Joshua. I figured the Pipe was good, I just knew it wasn't from Scioto county Ohio. Thanks for confirming that.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meuser's collection of hundreds of pipes had some copies made after at least ones appearance. (?).

The Mexico connection ,then the price, both stand out as anomalies for Ohio artifacts ..in my not bidding or being in the trade opinion.
Not saying a pipe did not get sold there, or it's origins far from home where collections don't go wanting for buyers locally can't be proven ,though material's actual source may be.
If the buyer was accepting of offered provenance ,and the price ,so be it I guess.
A preoccupation with Fakes

Pipe & Smoking Instrument Fakes - ArrowHeads.com

Thanks that was a super good read both of them, thanks for posting.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread