Got a new permission, no personal finds yet but hopefull

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,
No finds to share yet but I thought this was a good enough reason to say hi. :hello:

I pretty much stumbled across a new permission this weekend. Last night a friend I had not seen in a long time was over and when we got on the topic of artifacts he mentioned that he had some artifacts in the family that came from his family's land which has a creek going through it. He said I am welcome to come out pretty much any time and look. Today I went and looked for an hour before I had to go and get cleaned up to go to a wake.

I did not find anything in that short hunt but definitely look forward to spending some more time there. Also I very much look forward to seeing the finds he spoke of. The creek meets up with a larger creek not far from their land and then empties in to a lake not far from that.

A quick pic of part of the creek
Creek-2017-03-26-IMG_2139SS.jpg

Moral of the story: Keep in touch with good friends. Life is short.

Maybe with a little luck I will have something to share in the coming weeks.

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say I have no reason to feel discouraged. He forgot to call me back last night and said next time as long as I leave a message just go. He said the whole family knows what I am up to now and they're excited too. :)

Friday's forecast looks promising. Meanwhile I will work on a screen and some form of a window in to the water. I'll probably get some water boots and find a good stick too.

Thanks again for all the tips and wishes of luck. May every one of you make a good find soon and should you find a broke, may it match up with another broke. :)

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'd be looking hard at the area where the two creeks merge. Especially if there is a nice flat area.

Good luck!.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be looking hard at the area where the two creeks merge. Especially if there is a nice flat area.

Good luck!.

Thanks quito! :)

Certainly and that spot does look promising. Unfortunately it's just on the other side of the road maybe 100 feet from their property. He did say he knows most of the property owners around and might be able to help get me access to some other spots. My plan is to at least give this little creek a try first and once I've made a good run of it I will see about the better spots like that and where the creek enters the lake. Maybe not the most efficient way for me to look but I feel like it will mean a lot to him and his family if I find something on their land and I'm more than happy to make an effort of it.

Happy hunting,
Eric

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is finding 1 property owner that sees you arent out to leave big holes or trash and from there on your permission will fall into place. My 1st property with permission it took 2 years for the trust to come into place and from then on I have gotten many other yeses just by asking and using his name as a reference. I use his name and then say I will call or come by in a week and see what you say then and please call one of these property owners and ask about me. Most will have rules to follow and each property will have a different rule. Follow those rules no matter how some might sound dumb to you it is important to them. I always carry the owners names with me cause some might not know one but by the time I go through the list there is usually 1 person they know. With any luck soon you will be able to have permission to the whole creek. There is 1 creek I have permission to all of except 2 properties one on each end.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is finding 1 property owner that sees you arent out to leave big holes or trash and from there on your permission will fall into place. My 1st property with permission it took 2 years for the trust to come into place and from then on I have gotten many other yeses just by asking and using his name as a reference. I use his name and then say I will call or come by in a week and see what you say then and please call one of these property owners and ask about me. Most will have rules to follow and each property will have a different rule. Follow those rules no matter how some might sound dumb to you it is important to them. I always carry the owners names with me cause some might not know one but by the time I go through the list there is usually 1 person they know. With any luck soon you will be able to have permission to the whole creek. There is 1 creek I have permission to all of except 2 properties one on each end.

I couldn't agree more. So far I know I can't be there turkey hunting season. I will always respect any rule they have with no complaint. Interestingly I have yet to be turned down in this hobby. One of the hardest parts can be getting in touch with the land owner. I generally knock on doors. I will go with a list of places to ask and often get no answer then revert to a place that has answered before so I can at least get a search in. I feel like this could build in to something great, like what you have. From what my friend described it sounds like an ax head and another grooved stone of some type was found on their land with some other things. He's going to let me know sometime when I can come over and see them. Also they know someone in the area who found a pipe on their property, maybe a mile away. That could lead to an interesting permission in itself. It's a relaxing 20 minute country drive to get there so I have a really good feeling about this year.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you should be able too find some cooper stuff also,got a detector?

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you should be able too find some cooper stuff also,got a detector?

That would be amazing. Copper artifacts are fascinating. I do not currently have a detector though very likely I will get one eventually. I had one when I was a kid in the 80s and found some interesting things. Eventually I took it apart to see what was inside and that was the end of it. That gives you a glimpse of the kind of kid that I was. ;)

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made it back to the creek today and got to spend a few hours searching. I did not find anything too hopeful but it was great to get out in perfect weather. Once again I saw a group of wild turkeys on my way there. Then I encountered several garter snakes around the creek and saw two beautiful sand hill cranes up close on my way home.

I did find 2 intriguing tube shaped pieces. My hunch is they are natural but I do find them rather intriguing, I figure it's worth sharing just in case and one of you will probably know at first glance.

Weird tube-like pieces. As I said my hunch is natural but better to ask in the highly unlikely event that I found 2 pieces of clay pipe stems (should be thicker, I would think) or something. I found them about 15 feet away from each other. One was in mud, the other in gravel. (Edit: some kind of concretion I'm thinking)
Tubes-2017-04-01-Img_3906SSS.jpg Tubes-2017-04-01-Img_3909SSS.jpg Tubes-2017-04-01-Img_3910SSS.jpg Tubes-2017-04-01-Img_3911SSS.jpg Tube-2017-04-01-Img_3908SSS.jpg

Just a shot looking down where I found the first "tube". If you look closely you can see my crude screen made of tupperware and screen and also a skimmer that works well to collect material to screen. I don't think the skimmer will make it a whole season but it works very well.
Tube1Location-2017-04-01-IMG_2146SSS.jpg

Found one possible piece of debitage shown in hand here, it's the closest one to the quarter in the next pic with just a couple pieces of material that grabbed my eye that are most likely natural.
Material-2017-04-01-Img_3912SSS.jpg Material-2017-04-01-Img_3913SSS.jpg

Of course I can't look anywhere without finding at least one agate.
Agate-2017-04-01-Img_3914SSS.jpg

Here is one of the garter snakes relaxing in the stream.
GarterSnake-2017-04-01-Img_2160S.jpg

I hope you all get out soon and make some nice finds. :)

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece you call debitage looks worked to me, some type of scraper maybe.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece you call debitage looks worked to me, some type of scraper maybe.

It's not a scraper. I don't think it's a tool. It is very small, oddly shaped and hard to hold on to. My fault for not including better pics from more angles. I do think it very likely left over from the making of something. I found it near the end of my trip. Next trip I plan to start around that location and continue my way upstream to "uncharted territory". Hoping I will find a spot that had more activity. 8-)

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So no finds yet??

No real finds yet, but I haven't given up. Between work and dark cloudy weather I have only gone out there twice so far. There is still ground I haven't covered. I plan to go Thursday if work doesn't unexpectedly get in the way again. For a guy who makes it a life goal to have free time I sure seem to fail miserably at it when it matters the most.

If I make any real finds I will start a new thread (plus I will update this thread).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread