Got a new permission, no personal finds yet but hopefull

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,
No finds to share yet but I thought this was a good enough reason to say hi. :hello:

I pretty much stumbled across a new permission this weekend. Last night a friend I had not seen in a long time was over and when we got on the topic of artifacts he mentioned that he had some artifacts in the family that came from his family's land which has a creek going through it. He said I am welcome to come out pretty much any time and look. Today I went and looked for an hour before I had to go and get cleaned up to go to a wake.

I did not find anything in that short hunt but definitely look forward to spending some more time there. Also I very much look forward to seeing the finds he spoke of. The creek meets up with a larger creek not far from their land and then empties in to a lake not far from that.

A quick pic of part of the creek
Creek-2017-03-26-IMG_2139SS.jpg

Moral of the story: Keep in touch with good friends. Life is short.

Maybe with a little luck I will have something to share in the coming weeks.

Happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

Ici

Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you are excited. Best of luck

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I'd camp there for a week, just because.........

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Exciting! I bet you can't wait to spend some time out there :)

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! :)

I know you are excited. Best of luck
I could barely sleep last night, guess it shows. :)

Good luck! I'd camp there for a week, just because.........
It would make great camping land. It is a beautiful remote area with a lot of wildlife. I saw 3 bald eagles and more wild turkeys than I could count in the area.

Good luck nice looking spot hope you have better luck than me when it comes to creeks
Yeah it is not lost on me that it will be a lot of work and I might not even find anything. Still it seems like a great way to spend my time. Also having a creek to go to when the fields are not ideal seems useful.

Exciting! I bet you can't wait to spend some time out there :)
For sure. The season is pretty much just starting here and this isn't a bad way to start it. Anyone around here will understand, the need to go out and find things builds up all winter. :laughing7:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks mighty inviting. They're in there. Just don't give up if you don't find something on the first few trips. Best of luck.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can give 1 tip always walk upstream. I hope you find a few and if nothing else enjoy the outdoors and be safe.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric, good luck, looks like a great area to detect. Are there any fruit trees on the property or trees that produce nuts like walnuts or butternuts? If so, there would have been some activity around these trees to harvest the produce. Also could have been some Native American activity near the stream.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can give 1 tip always walk upstream...

Great tip, Rock. Also, sunny days seem to work better to light up the bottom. Clouds seem to throw a glare on the water. Make you a bucket with a clear bottom to see through those ripply areas.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for wishing me luck and I really appreciate the tips.

What does walking upstream help with? Just curious, not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

I have been thinking about making or finding something with a clear bottom to better see the creek bottom with. No doubt it will make a huge difference with what I can see.

I may also set up a small screening system. Just something I can clean handfuls of gravel on that I scoop up from behind larger rocks and things where they collect.

I did not think to look for fruit / nut sources. Good idea. I should bring my regional edible fruits and berries book along (I am really in to that sort of thing).

Good luck in return to all of you. :)

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for wishing me luck and I really appreciate the tips.

What does walking upstream help with? Just curious, not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

I have been thinking about making or finding something with a clear bottom to better see the creek bottom with. No doubt it will make a huge difference with what I can see.

I may also set up a small screening system. Just something I can clean handfuls of gravel on that I scoop up from behind larger rocks and things where they collect.

I did not think to look for fruit / nut sources. Good idea. I should bring my regional edible fruits and berries book along (I am really in to that sort of thing).

Good luck in return to all of you. :)

When you dig around and disturb the bottom of the stream it makes it hard to see anything if your walking with the cloudy water. Walking against it will give you much better visibility when walking or moving rocks since it's quickly carried away with the current.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you dig around and disturb the bottom of the stream it makes it hard to see anything if your walking with the cloudy water. Walking against it will give you much better visibility when walking or moving rocks since it's quickly carried away with the current.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks! (And thanks Rock for bringing it up). It would have taken some trial and error for me to discover that on my own. :)

Looks promising! Can't wait to see your finds and I know you will find them!
Thanks! I can't wait to find and share. I am really hoping to find my first point this year. It feels possible. :)

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Hope you find some great pieces!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck Erick,creeks will throw them up on the banks too,always look good in the hard pan too,not sure why i call it that but the hard dirt under the water is a good spot to find them also.i do not think you have too worry moccasins,thats a plus.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd make a sifter for sure... The creeks seem to sort things on bottom by size from sand -to large rocks in certain spots... I've had some luck sifting though the gravel sized stuff.... Hope I dont sound crazy good luck

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear good water boots to if there is any big slippery rocks. A good walking stick is a plus something that will hold your weight just in case you need support and its also good for flipping rocks before you bend over to reach really helps your back by the end of the day. After you walk it without a stick you will know what I am talking about. Dont forget the pics, rock

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... A good walking stick is a plus something that will hold your weight just in case you need support and its also good for flipping rocks before you bend over to reach really helps your back by the end of the day. After you walk it without a stick you will know what I am talking about...

Yeah, those half-ounce leaves are bad on the back!

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tips everyone! I can't thank you enough.

Now I just need to get out there. I have to admit I am discouraged. It looked like today would be a great day to go with perfect weather and most importantly I have time. Unfortunately I can't get a hold of my friend (which I have to do when I go). Even left a message yesterday evening to try to better my chances but no such luck.. Not what I thought would happen. I am sure there is a good reason and I need to be more patient is all. Hopefully I can make arrangements with him for a week off I have coming up.

Wear good water boots to if there is any big slippery rocks. A good walking stick is a plus something that will hold your weight just in case you need support and its also good for flipping rocks before you bend over to reach really helps your back by the end of the day. After you walk it without a stick you will know what I am talking about. Dont forget the pics, rock

Great ideas rock. I can guarantee pics will not be forgotten. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread