Big Sandy Broad Base?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The treasures just keep coming! First the beautiful green Tallahatta Quartzite point and now this little gem. It also showed up in the round pen we just put in for training our horses. I can't believe it is just missing a little of one barb. I'm just learning to identify types, but it seems to have a lot of characteristics of the Big Sandy Broad Base. Any ideas on type?

This was a surface find on our farm in NW Georgia.

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! :icon_thumleft:
Looks like you ought to some sifting in and around that horse corral?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no beveling apparent, it looks like a heavily resharpened Kirk Corner Notch to me, and the missing barb looks like a case of intentional shoulder removal. Can you get a little better shot of that feature? Looks like you're on a roll, gal!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful find!
HH
dts

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been serving up round bales of hay in that spot for almost 4 years. Our farrier told me to put the hay there because the rain would run off down the hill and lessen the amount of mud the horses stand around in. I can't believe anything has survived me tearing around on the tractor with the box scraper "sifting" up mounds of manure lol! If I'm really lucky maybe I'll find a beautiful red jasper clovis - your banner find is STUNNING!

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandchip you are keeping me on my toes! I've learned about basal grinding and now I'm off to learn about beveled edges. As soon as the sun comes out I'll get a closer picture of the barb. It doesn't look like anything I'd pick to hunt down an animal, but I'm assuming that is what it was used for. So I'm wondering if this is a Kirk, does the early archaic time period have any connection with the first point I found? Would it also be from the early archaic period? Why is the location where I saw them so close to each other... I'm bewildered! Thanks for your response :)

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coosakid it is more like these artifacts found me! You, my friend are the lucky one! My next career is whatever your career is - all those beautiful finds...at work!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip you are keeping me on my toes! I've learned about basal grinding and now I'm off to learn about beveled edges. As soon as the sun comes out I'll get a closer picture of the barb. It doesn't look like anything I'd pick to hunt down an animal, but I'm assuming that is what it was used for. So I'm wondering if this is a Kirk, does the early archaic time period have any connection with the first point I found? Would it also be from the early archaic period? Why is the location where I saw them so close to each other... I'm bewildered! Thanks for your response :)

My theory on intentional shoulder removal is to distribute the force bearing against the handle as cutting pressure is applied to the opposite blade edge, lessening the chance of splitting the, more than likely, bone socket handle. So, I don't think it was used to hunt with, but instead as a knife. As far as the disparity in time periods, if you have a good, reliable source of clean water nearby, you stand the chance of finding anything from Paleo all the way up to the present, and that's a good problem to have. Girl, you gotta move dem horses!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking early point

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory on intentional shoulder removal is to distribute the force bearing against the handle as cutting pressure is applied to the opposite blade edge, lessening the chance of splitting the, more than likely, bone socket handle. So, I don't think it was used to hunt with, but instead as a knife. As far as the disparity in time periods, if you have a good, reliable source of clean water nearby, you stand the chance of finding anything from Paleo all the way up to the present, and that's a good problem to have. Girl, you gotta move dem horses!

And the rounding of the tip suggests knife as well..

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandchip here's a closer picture of the missing shoulder. Please excuse my farm girl hands - Work day :)

Attachments

• IMG_2073.PNG
    IMG_2073.PNG
    927.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find deff looks older ..... May be time to get the tractor out and plow the entire area ..... Just tell everybody your doing a giant garden this year lol

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip here's a closer picture of the missing shoulder...

Thanks, Bear. I've always been fascinated by them. I'm not a knapper but always thought that they would require some skill to accomplish, but they never seem to get that much attention. Too homely I guess, compared to her beautiful sister, Flute. Maybe some knappers here can help, but I always figured the blow had to be applied indirectly using some sort of drift tool. Enough force had to be applied for the flake to travel far enough to hinge out at the bottom of the notch, but not so far as to take off the entire base (I've got one where that seems to be what happened).

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of exhausted Kirk Corner Notch points. Oddly enough, the one on the right also has its shoulder intentionally removed. You can see the hinge fracture near the bottom of the left notch. The other one looks nice when you hold it up to the light. Also shown is one resharpened into a drill. All three were much larger originally.

kirk.jpg kirk1.jpg kirk drill.jpg

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BearCreek lets see some pictures outside ,where you are feeding hay . It may be on top of a camp site.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a couple of exhausted Kirk Corner Notch points. Oddly enough, the one on the right also has its shoulder intentionally removed. You can see the hinge fracture near the bottom of the left notch. The other one looks nice when you hold it up to the light. Also shown is one resharpened into a drill. All three were much larger originally.

View attachment 1433038 View attachment 1433039 View attachment 1433040
Those are really nice Sandchip! I love the translucent one! It is pretty odd that the same shoulder was intentionally removed on the one made of chert? Or jasper? The one I found just has a fragile look compared to other types of points - well I guess that should be knives, not points. I don't know what the purpose of the barbs are. They look like you could knock them off so easily! Thanks for sharing your pics and great info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread