All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that my ancestors would not care if i gathered up there lost,used up points.but always knew that there would be h double hokey sticks to pay if you took from ones grave.it is sad that we have to have laws against this,as one should know better.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read it all but sometimes I wonder about my creek. What if a skull washed up? I know I would have to call the sheriff's department but what then? can't bury it back and darn sure don't want it in my house so thinking I'd have to call David Moore's archy group or something.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
graves do wash out,if you know one washed out,as in the finds you see,you should call and report it,i myself do not like to see grave goods in collections

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
graves do wash out,if you know one washed out,as in the finds you see,you should call and report it,i myself do not like to see grave goods in collections
Well I hope I never find any in the creek and yes there is a fairly good chance it could happen here. There are undocumented mounds all around and Dr. Moore said people would be surprised what's underneath us, which we know he is right about. The Berry Site which is across the county from me is an example of how people are that just don't know or care. The farmers who owned the land where some of the mounds are were moving the dirt off of them to fill in the fields below so they could farm them and there are artifacts all over them.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NCpeaches - Are they digging up burial mounds for fill dirt? Please say no!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This bill originated because in recent years, artifacts considered to be sacred items to members of the Hopi tribe of Az have been sold at auction houses in Paris. One non profit foundation was able to purchase the items and return the articles to the Hopi tribe. When they are still living tribes, and the elders and spiritual leaders recognize the items as sacred within their spiritual beliefs, they are probably entitled to attempt to reclaim them. Anyway, there have been several auctions and they have gone to private collectors in many cases. The Navaho have also been successful recently in buying and returning sacred items from Paris auctions. These auctions have been the impetus behind this bill. It is not an attempt to go after arrowhead hunters, should anyone incorrectly assume that....

Foundation buys masks for Hopis at Paris auction

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
This bill is dead. It failed to make it out of committee in 2016 (the last that I heard).

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds all well and good until they want to put in a new neighborhood, then all bets are off. It's happening out here on KNOWN burial grounds. The answer to the Native protest is basically "up yours."

While I agree these items should not make it to the highest bidder in Europe or elsewhere, it's all a bunch of BS. The Natives got royally screwed and still are lied to, over and over and over and over.....that I doubt any one of them believes a "bill" by the US gov is worth the paper it's printed on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread