Western points?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend the fossil guy gave me these to try and type. He goes to Montana & Wyoming on dino digs. He is a wheeler dealer & buys stuff from local ranchers in the areas he hunts. These were in a box with various bones and fossil rocks from Montana. I don't have a clue? Im a Florida boy. One has a flute the entire length. The dark one looks like it could be Knife River or some darker Flint. Both have a lot of mineralization. Give me your 2 cents worth. Thanks
KIMG0605.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The dark one has what might be thinning flutes. The other is major fluted. The don't look Clovis type, I don't know?

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That full length flute does not really look like clovis,more like Cumberland though they shouldn't be that far west. Other looks like a BlackRock Concave but a little to far east. I don't know but they are sweet

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only Montana type that is fluted from base to tip that I can find is a Folsom, but that doesn't look like a typical Folsom Point. The darker one could be a Plainview.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Issue is they were in a box marked "very big bones & some fossels". Yes fossil was misspelled! Just because he bought them in Montana doesn't mean that is their origin. He literally has hundreds of boxes filled with stuff that he has brought back from trips over the years. That is why I put a question mark after the title. Shows the importance of marking items with a ID of some sort showing their origin, etc
. Probably never know for sure where or what they are. Kinda fun getting all of your opinions.:icon_thumleft:

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the bottom one looks to be a cumberland ive never seen one made from that material but if its authentic it is obviously a rare and valuable piece like someone mentioned it would not have come from that far west originaly

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see some pics out in the natural light.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously the place to start would be to ask your friend where these came from. Since they were in a box of 'big bones and fossils', were they found in association with that particular dig? But I guess if they were they would be labelled and probably not lyin around in a box somewhere. Nice points, and hope you find out something about them.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will try to take a few better pics. I only have a phone. My friend the "Fossil Guy" is all over the place & kind of a hoarder. I tease him about the piles of bones, fossils, etc. he has in his lab/shop. He thinks these were from a box he bought in Montana. Check out Educational Biofacts, that is his website.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some better photos would help, like Rock said in the day light. If they are the real deal starters would be $100 per inch but before anyone is going to throw out that kind of cash, they would need to be looked at by someone that knows what they are talking about and have a very good reputation on dealing with artifacts. Then the price is the roof. !!!!!!!!!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yep, not much to say with certainty except that better pictures that show the flaking would help.

My initial reaction to them is that the resharpening appears to be the same for both, which seems oddly coincidental on two fluted points like that. (Heavily smoothed until the mid-point, and the nibbled up to the tip.) That said, I've seen old school collections that had amazing fluted points from blow outs and the ranchers simply picked up complete pieces.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to take a few better pics. I only have a phone. My friend the "Fossil Guy" is all over the place & kind of a hoarder. I tease him about the piles of bones, fossils, etc. he has in his lab/shop. He thinks these were from a box he bought in Montana. Check out Educational Biofacts, that is his website.
I see. I was hopin he had found these himself on site. I've found quite a few mammoth bones in Oklahoma and I'm always lookin to see if any man made artifacts are associated with them. So far only two sites that indicate human involvement dating back to 10,000yrs. ago have been found, the Domebo canyon site definitely and the Cooperton site maybe. I just want to be the guy that finds the next one. Not for monetary gain, just for the coolness of dating first human occupation of that area.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying they came from Montana, but if it helps I have found a few plainview points here in Southwestern Montana. If I found anything as nice as what you have there, I might have a heartattack! :laughing7:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nothing else, this shows how important provenance is. Two potentially great points with no way of knowing.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are a couple more pics. All I use is my phone so sorry about the quality. All I know about them is what I already posted. I don't have a lot of knowledge but enjoy this hobby. I don't get out hunting points much anymore so it's fun looking at others finds on this site. KIMG0602.jpg KIMG0603.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread