Stacking

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little point yesterday...pretty good example of stacking I'd say...mjm IMAG1489.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it even look like they tried to remove it or just worked around it?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there's a reason for it? Balance?

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, pretty cool, like a micro cliff face on that one...knives didn't need to be aerodynamic...

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To hard to remove them stacks. I bet they are like a knot in a board.

I see. Thanks. I've recently tried knapping myself....so far I've learned that it is much harder than I thought it would be

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's where a blow to remove a flake is insufficient to remove the unwanted part of a preform in the reduction process. After that, regardless of the amount of force applied, the next blow will travel up to that point and hinge out, and the next, and the next, until when viewed from the side, the hinge fractures sorta look stacked one on top of each other.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
They can be removed if you approach the rock from different angles but it takes time to learn that process. I would think the Natives had better things to do, lol.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some stacks are caused by a spot in the stone like a fossil or any type of infusion of a different material. To take off a flake from the stone you strike it at a edge point and the shock wave goes across the stone making a flake fall off. To high with your strike and you get a stack, to low and the flake will be short. Jon is right you have to remove it from another angle, I always do it from the other side of the stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread