monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont to show what a stone drilled hole looks like and also what carving lines by stone looks against power tool works. The 1st photo is of a hole in bone that was drilled by a stone drill drilled.jpg drilled1.jpg 1st let me point out how the bone which is soft angles all the way down to the very inside of the bone. Next notice the tapered look to it and also stone will make a polish sometimes. drilled2.jpg drilled3.jpg These 2 photos shows what a hole in bone would look like when a power tool is used an also trying to copy what stone will do. 1st notice the straight down section at the bottom of the hole. That is where the drill bit broke through at the last part of drilling. Also you can see the walls of the hole have not got the smoothness of the way the stone did. Also you can see where the bit made marks outside and inside the hole. This last 2 photos are just a straight down drilled hole by a power tool. drilled4.jpg drilled5.jpg Stevie Wonder could see that this is not right, but yet people get taken everyday with holes in repro's like this.

This next section is on what hand carving marks look like and what a power tool mark look like. drilled6.jpg This photo is what marks look like when done by hand and with a stone flake. Notice all the small cuts in the bone and the lines are not very straight. The human hand can not go in a straight line when doing this type of work, you will always off track. Also notice at the end of the lines the lines let up due to you picking up with your hand. drilled7.jpg This photo is of lines made by a power tool. Notice the lines are straighter and down in the bottom of the cut you will see small lines that run through the cut. This is what is called tool marks, made by a rotary cutting tool and also you can see where the bit dipped now an then. drilled8.jpg This photo is of a power cut and a stone cut side by side. You should really be able to see how the power cut, which is almost the same width stands out from the stone cut. If you buy an artifact or not, I would advise all to get a good eye piece scope. They are well worth it just to be able to look at what you find. These photo were taken with my phone and a $10 lens from wal-mart. I hope this helps and ask any questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Upvote 6

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered how (with a whole lot of patience) NAs drilled the holes in pendants and banner stones. Have been told that they probably used some sort of grit when drilling the holes in stone. Thanks for the insight on the cut marks on the bone. I'm always reading when they find bones at kill sites of the cut marks made with blades and stone knives which they usually they say were made by man.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to ask about drilled holes! I want to share some up close pics and get some feedback...supposedly an 1890's ceremonial piece or more likely tourist piece. Plains Indians. Is this 1890's style or later? Thanks.

View attachment 1442078

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad pic...but you can see the drill ridges...seems more modern but not as modern as a mortar bit.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh...it pops up for me on the app...Anyone else having issues? I'm not sure I know how to rectify that monsterrack.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another try at the pic... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493138497.698909.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493138543.771526.jpg

The horsetail, sinew, turkey feather remains are all real...I just think it was either for ceremonic purposes or tourism...my wife bought it for me but I've had suspicions that it isn't what they sold it to her as. They claim 1890's...ceremonial.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another try at the pic... View attachment 1443956 View attachment 1443957

The horsetail, sinew, turkey feather remains are all real...I just think it was either for ceremonic purposes or tourism...my wife bought it for me but I've had suspicions that it isn't what they sold it to her as. They claim 1890's...ceremonial.

I have not ever seen an item like that, not sure what it would have been used for. The ridges in the hole look odd almost like it was molded that way. I can say it was not drilled from the photo. JMO

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost looks like a stepped bit used for cutting out metal. Definitely a conically shaped hole. I was thinking old, 1890's or so, but probably for tourism/memorabilia. Not sure but others similar to it can be found on the web. I appreciate it.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Good examples.

Ben Thompson used to get out his inside diameter telescoping gages and compare the results to the drill sizes on his bannerstones and show me the differences in measurements.

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for posting this! Very helpful and informative.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Madhatter65

Sep 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the information. I had found this 40 years ago . Any info would be great. Thank you. image.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No signs in picture of it being drilled. Need close up of hole. Right now I say its natural.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions