Brazoria County, Texas - Beach Bone Artifact/Fossil

texasriverdigger2.0

Mar 20, 2017
Freeport Texas
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Brazoria County, Texas - Beach Bone Fossil/Artifact

I found this bone fossil fragment with a what looks like a paleolithic hieroglyph on a Brazoria County, Texas beach the other day. I've been studying this piece since I found it on the hightide.

It looks to be Paleolithic vs Neolithic. The Paleolithic Era (or Old Stone Age) is a period of prehistory from about 2.6 million years ago to around 10,000 years ago.

My conclusion. It is ancient and authentic bone art. The bone fragment is 1.25×1.25 and .25 thick. It looks like a hieroglyph shark to me. The engraving is about 1/8" deep and the entire fragment has a nice patina.

After looking at it in 4 different orientations, the picture with (head left) seems to be the best orientation because the fins are longer. I also have a picture to show the depth of the engraving. There aren't any other visible marks on the fragment.

I've searched thru a lot of hieroglyphs, cave paintings and other bone art and I've not found anything fish/shark or water/sea related.

In closing..... I'm also still looking hard for the rest of the bone/story. It seems like it might be a pretty good read.....)

Your thoughts?

20170424_181701-1.jpeg

20170424_185655-1.jpeg

20170424_182501-1.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

texasriverdigger2.0

Mar 20, 2017
Freeport Texas
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I understand doubt and skepticism.

I have no doubt that this is a genuine artifact. It has the familiar and distinctive glass sound and sticky touch and faint sulphur smell. And "both" the bone and character has a nice aged patina.

And for the record. I've have also carved and grinded some Texas Jasper rock and fossilized bone effigy beads using only some of the same chert knives, sandstone, bone and leather tools that paleo would have used so long ago and I've used a dremel tool as well. I don't see it being very difficult to evenly gouge out a character in a weathered soft bone, if it was a soft bone at that time. I do know, it would be an incredible challenge and probably impossible to smoothly gouge or dremel out any character in a fossilized bone. With that said, I think this character was gouged out vs being carved, cut or scratched into the bone.

And as was said in a earlier post. Im making arrangements to have this artifact authenticated to help silence the doubt and skepticism.

Thanks y'all.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread