rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today to a property I have permission to look on. Owner called and said he had just disced it and had some good rain fall so I went to have a look this morning. Ive found some colorful points and material out there and wasnt disappointed today. Points, scrapers and a KILLER 2 Tone. N.GA. surface finds with owners permission, rock

Attachments

• SDC12239.JPG
    SDC12239.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
  • SDC12234.JPG
    SDC12234.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
  • SDC12248.JPG
    SDC12248.JPG
    767.9 KB · Views: 162
  • SDC12250.JPG
    SDC12250.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome point. When I pick one up I wonder what the natives used that stone for. Was it used to kill an animal or another man? How many murder weapons are in my shadow box? I can only wonder.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt a Savannah River.

So on the black side of it is that a long strike or a flute? Ive never found a fluted one so I wouldnt know the difference.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super fine point Rock it's a great find and it's got great color. I think bookuumdano got it right. here are few photos you can decide from. 1st a Savanah River 2nd Stanley and 3rd a Chipola(Dalton family) all found in your area Savanah River.jpg Stanley_02.jpg Chipola.jpg My guess is the savannah river they are known for base thinning which would explain the flake strike off the base.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rack

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savannah River in my neck of the woods don't have a concave base? Don't let the point shape fool you into going the wrong direction. A concave base goes against Bullen's definition of a Savannah River. It's not a Dalton or a Greenbriar but it looks like raw material. When you get into pointed tangs on a stemmed point, there aren't but a few options unless it's a variant or "tweener" point. There are a lot of those. Nice point.

Last edited:

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
Savannah River with a concave base? Don't let the point shape fool you into going the wrong direction. A concave base goes against the definition of a Savannah River. It's not a Dalton or a Greenbriar but it looks like raw material. When you get into pointed tangs on a stemmed point, there aren't but a few options unless it's a variant or "tweener" point. There are a lot of those. Nice point.

Yes, a concave base is one of the characteristics of a Savannah River. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg These are all from a typology forum.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock I'm jealous.... That's some nice finds... I like the material that shows a lot of details

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty and I love the others too. I'm leaning toward Savannah River too or at least a variant of it which is not bad because that puts it in the Archaic time period. The base is similar to the Savannah Rivers I've found and one side is sort of concave. Look at the base on this knife I found, you can see the concave a little. WP_20170429_010.jpg But whatever type it is, well it's a beauty! Love the color.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great examples Book, but I see incurvate differently than concave. Perhaps semantics, but with a point being on the corner of the tang, I see it as concave rather than incurvate. Bullens definition states "Base of tang is sometimes thinned but not intentionally made concave." Most Savannah's are heat treated stone too and I'm not sure if the OP's point is heat altered or not.

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
Yes, you are correct on the heat treated statement for sure, as a majority of the ones I have found are made of poorer quality chert that was better utilized for the knapping process by heat treatment. That being said, if the maker had higher quality material, coastal plains chert for example the heat treatment process may have not been utilized. I am unfamiliar with the black chert of rocks piece, but what some see as a cortex of brown on the stem I see as the possibility of costal plains chert? Another oddity I have found on water submerged village sites where the color of materials used, and the process of tool making can be found. Is that often they have hauled in an outcropping of particularly type and outward material rocks, maybe found close to camp since some of these rocks are over basketball size. It is amazing to see how many times the color and quality will change the closer to the core. For example I have found rice grain chert started performs with part of the core apparently agitized. And then a identical outward appearance rock that once they got to the usable core and attempted to use it, they discarded due to poor quality.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the cortex into consideration when trying to type it. It does give the point more character and style and who doesn't want that. I'd call it a Fairland where the maker worked around the cortex to add character. I originally thought Gilchrist but I just doesn't look old enough. Could be wrong on that.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is badass! How thin is it? Give us a pic!

Thanks I have no doubt I will win something at the next show for it in July for PSAS. Here are the pics you asked for.

Attachments

• SDC12271.JPG
    SDC12271.JPG
    646.3 KB · Views: 55
  • SDC12272.JPG
    SDC12272.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 43
  • SDC12273.JPG
    SDC12273.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 57
  • SDC12274.JPG
    SDC12274.JPG
    667.2 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock I'm jealous.... That's some nice finds... I like the material that shows a lot of details

Most of the quartz ones are round base Morrow Mountains. I couldnt walk the whole field due to the bull was out and the 2 cows. One cow just has a calf and the other was expecting so as you can imagine the bull was a but restless as I was to trying to keep my eye on him and at the same time watching to make sure I wasnt to far from the fence just in case I had to make a dive over it. The things you have to put up with just to find a nice point, geez

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the cortex into consideration when trying to type it. It does give the point more character and style and who doesn't want that. I'd call it a Fairland where the maker worked around the cortex to add character. I originally thought Gilchrist but I just doesn't look old enough. Could be wrong on that.

I will look those 2 up and see if it fits. Very nice and well behaved debate I surly want to know the type.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Gilchrist fits very close but my guide doesnt show them being this far north in Georgia. It does display archaic flaking so I will have to rule out Fairland. The base has a slight ground to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread