Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rock Meister.
Nice workmanship. I agree on the savanah river/stanley theory with those shoulders,base and your area. they are a bifuricate. Most mine like that are very worn. Yours in great shape!
Ok... Here are some worn ones I have for comparison they are worn and re worked.

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
I can see the fairland attributes you have mentioned. They are noted for their thinness, this one doesn't appear to have the typical reduction you would find in such a high quality (appearing) chert expecially in the hafted area.I have only found 2. One made of poor quality, yellow and red rice grain chert. The other, high quality ft Paine chert, both were obvious on their typology. The high quality one narrow and thin, highly noticeable obtuse convex, almost notch like. It also had a cortex the maker had issues with thinning on the center of one side, but still managed to make a super thin piece, and killer secondary edge flaking. Gihlcrest would have an obvious almost ear like convex base with heavy grinding you can definitely rule that one out. Was this a multi occupational site or have you primarily found one period of attifacts in the general area, that may help rule one of the two out? Fairlands are pretty rare to come across.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well by thinking of all the types I have found in the direct area meaning a mile in any direction from the location. I have found plenty of middle to late archaic pieces like Ledbetters for example. Just by the finds in the pic even though there is a quartz triangle most of them are Morrow Mountains. Dont know what the gray one is missing the tip maybe a Woodland like the triangle. But anyways most are middle archaic and the owner found a couple MM while we were looking. Im going to throw a wrench into this and ask you to look at these 2 types. 1st is a easy one to pronounce a Johnson which my guide has one that looks just like mine and describes it to a T. The 2nd is a Steubenville both are in the middle archaic period. All of the Savannah Rivers I have seen found in this area have been made from quartzite and Im not saying it isnt one just cause its made from flint. But mine is slightly ground at the base. Let me know what you think on the 2 I listed. Thanks, rock

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
Rock, I do not have enough knowledge nor have I handled or studied the point types you have mentioned to make an educated evaluation. Morrow mountain would fit in the time period of the Savannah better than fairland. Many of the morrow mountains and savannah's I find are comprised of talahatta quartzite as well, as outcroppings of that material is readily available. Other sites nearly everything I find is coastal plains chert. Fairland is a woodland point. That being said, yours is an exotic material so it could be out of context. I am not knowledgable of point types it could possibly be not found in my region. Even though it has fairland attributes, I still find more evidence in my opinion, if I found it here in southeast Alabama amongst morrow mountains etc, it would be a Savannah. If found on a primarily woodland site with no basal grinding, I would say fairland. Bow's tweener analogy fits well.But if I am wrong it will not be the first time!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material isnt far from where I found this maybe .5 of a mile to the best lithic creek. The small creek at the bottom of the hill probably at one time flowed hard but most of the rocks I have found in it is a shale/ schist type and quartz. No good flint is what I am saying. I have found some nice ones in the area but this one is near my best. Thanks for everything, rock

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you rule out Stillwell ?

Nobody said that I will have a look in the guide. I always use a Overstreet guide I like them. I will check

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I dont think Stillwell on it. Johnson fits very well, thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update I sent this off to a point site projectilepoints.net and the owner sent me a message about it. He said it looks to be a Russel Cave and is from the Dalton Cluster. So its one of my oldest points I have ever found. Thanks everyone, rock

Attachments

• SDC12262.JPG
    SDC12262.JPG
    776.4 KB · Views: 46

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update I sent this off to a point site projectilepoints.net and the owner sent me a message about it. He said it looks to be a Russel Cave and is from the Dalton Cluster. So its one of my oldest points I have ever found. Thanks everyone, rock

That is an awesome point! I just saw they posted it on projectilepoints.net! I vote banner!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Segoe UI, Segoe WP, Arial, sans-serif]Wow. The Russel Cave is near me.Been there a bunch. I know more about the cave than that point as I know people who worked and still do in the archeological study. I do know they traveled some and were mostly in the Tn Valley.[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Segoe WP, Arial, sans-serif] On a side note that brown flint is only found in the Tn Valley as is Russel Cave and in just a very few isolated places and some on the Cumberland Plateau. Here is that brown Tn valley Flint.I collect jars of the flakes when in the right areas here are a few whole ones of the brown. I never would have guessed Russel cave that really surprises me....? I also have a beveled, serrated Dalton Colbert from a few miles from there. Glad you got an I.D !!!
[/FONT] That makes it kinda old doesn't it?

IMG_4880.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Archaic 9500-7500 B.P.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROCK
Here is the Dalton Colbert point I promised you which would be in the same cluster as the Russel cave. The difference being is the Dalton Colbert have a heavy bevel usually on one side as does this one.Glad to learn so much on your really neat find.
TnMtns

P5110449.jpg

P5110450.jpg

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder