SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz
"This site only contained a few kettle points (at top of first photo) and the rest iron…"

My reply: "Thanks a lot Muddyhandz. Now I'm going to have to dig every last iron signal I get."

Not sure how many of you remember that exchange from another thread…

Well a few weeks ago, I took the family on a little trip out West. We were visiting some old friends in Montana, but we took our sweet time in getting there, so we could do some artifact hunting and metal detecting along the way. Before heading out, I got permission to hunt some fields. Our main focus was going to be arrowhead hunting, but when we got to the site, we were a little discouraged to find the fields had not yet been plowed. So, that left us little option other than to start detecting. As it turned out, the field was awesome, and yielded some great artifacts linked to the US Cavalry in the 1870's and 80's. I'll be posting more about those finds in the metal detecting forum.

But, I never forgot the post about metal Indian artifacts in which I decided that they were on my bucket list. I specifically remembered Muddyhandz post, when he said that some arrowheads were copper, and others iron. As we began detecting I was pleased to find very little trash, so hoping for any old artifact, I instructed my daughter to dig every single signal, even iron, and I did the same. Awhile later, I was very pleased to uncovered the shorter of the two points. The next morning, my daughter found that beautiful, long slender one. It was a moment neither of us will ever forget. Despite some other great artifacts we found on that trip, these two points were the highlight for both of us. I love metal detecting, and I love Indian artifact hunting, this was just is the best of both worlds for us.

IMG_3060_zpsb1cad1sp.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsjuz7sqyb.jpg

IMG_3062_zps9riite7b.jpg

IMG_3061_zpssnmvj80d.jpg

Upvote 0

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them are great points. I really like the bottom one.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Unfortunately those are still on my bucket list. :sadsmiley:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Found just one years ago in Maryland. Very hard to get.

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the nice replies. But as I was thinking about it, I came up with a question for you experts. Do you think this point is Native crafted, or do you suppose it was made in a blacksmiths shop, and traded?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet !! Montana...gotta get up there myself sometime.

You should check out the book "The Earth Shall Weep" Has some pretty insane stories about Indian / US wars up there.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! :icon_thumleft:
I have only found one metal point so far here in Montana. I tend to believe that a lot of the metal points were either traded by the Hudson Bay Co for furs, or as mentioned a local blacksmith capitalized on making them and did some trading with the Indians.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds. Can't wait to try and find one myself.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool never think of some arrowheads being made from metal

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread