Help Identify Please

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a large, seemingly bifurcated point this morning. I can't figure out the type and I'm looking for some suggestions if someone has seen anything similar. Thanks in advance

Having some trouble with pictures so please bear with me

big point.PNG

big point2.JPG

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Burke county stuff and there is a lot of Conerlys over there, I have never seen one quite that big but it has the Conerly shape.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a sweet point! I don't hunt for Indian artifacts much anymore.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you must love your niece ..... Regardless very nice find you should be happy

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Sweat point!!! Congrats

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:That is an amazing point, or blade not sure what to call that but it is awesome just as amazing to me is that you gave it away

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not any of my business, but I'm gonna spout off anyway. It's a noble gesture to give it to your niece, providing she is a true artifact enthusiast who truly realizes the significance of this piece. Teens' interests change like the wind and their trust of others should be at least of some consideration here. Many years ago, a teenager (also about 13 years old) found one of the best (and largest) points ever on a sandbar in the presence of a bunch of witnesses. One guy even offered to trade a VW for it! But the kid declined. Fast forward a few years, I asked his uncle about the point who remembered it quite well. He talked to his nephew, now an adult, who replied that he had no idea what happened to the point. The more "friends" your niece shows it to, the greater the chance, that it will disappear, unless she has the good judgement to keep it secured in a safe, not just lying on her dresser or in a shoe box under her bed.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beautiful and huge point. I think it may be a type of stemmed Guilford. They can be that large, and are of the same basic time frame as the Stanley points which have the indented or shallowly bifurcated bases.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not any of my business, but I'm gonna spout off anyway. It's a noble gesture to give it to your niece, providing she is a true artifact enthusiast who truly realizes the significance of this piece. Teens' interests change like the wind and their trust of others should be at least of some consideration here. Many years ago, a teenager (also about 13 years old) found one of the best (and largest) points ever on a sandbar in the presence of a bunch of witnesses. One guy even offered to trade a VW for it! But the kid declined. Fast forward a few years, I asked his uncle about the point who remembered it quite well. He talked to his nephew, now an adult, who replied that he had no idea what happened to the point. The more "friends" your niece shows it to, the greater the chance, that it will disappear, unless she has the good judgement to keep it secured in a safe, not just lying on her dresser or in a shoe box under her bed.

Well, she was hunting with me when I found it, and she has quite a collection of frames herself. I've found so many over the years that I get more excited about the finding than I do the collecting; that initial thrill when you hear the clink of steel on stone, or see the edge of a blade sticking out of the ground is much more fulfilling. I got pictures and a memory out of it, and hopefully she'll get more than that. It'll be well treated, and she'll give it back before she gets rid of it. Of course, she's barely hitting the hormonal stage so you may be dead on, Sandchip!

Ici

Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flatlander are you sure that point did not come from Hurtsboro Al? My cousin received an email from an archaeologist in Alabama over the weekend about a point found on a family farm that looks very similar to the one you found.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flatlander are you sure that point did not come from Hurtsboro Al? My cousin received an email from an archaeologist in Alabama over the weekend about a point found on a family farm that looks very similar to the one you found.

Nope, about 25 miles south of Clay County, Georgia.

Ici

Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for answering. I was not questioning you as much as i was wanting to get the facts straight before we answered the archaeologist. I guess he received bad info about the artifact. Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread