Possible 'gaming stone'???

Woodshunter80

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Western Mass. (Berkshires)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend found this stone while detecting in a corn field here in western Mass. It came from an area on a hill where native artifacts have been found before. Bits of chipped flint and 'fire-cracked' rock are common in the relatively localized patch where this was found. The stone seems excessively polished and symmetrical. The site is also steeply elevated and likely never part of the nearby river. So I don't think it's a river stone. ...Or maybe it is. I don't know. In any case, could this be an artifact? Are 'gaming stones' even found around in this area? Would I even be able to tell the difference between one and a river rock? Appreciate any input on the matter.

Thanks. IMG_6809.jpg IMG_6810.jpg IMG_6811.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with Grim, natural erosion rock.

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a relative Newbie to artifact hunting but am hunting with a mentor who has hunted for 20 years or better, Every gaming stone I have found and that he has in his collection are perfectly spherical like a marble. I know there are some that are not shaped perfectly this way but would believe it would be hard to tell one shaped as yours from a river rock if it weren't perfectly spherical.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others have said it does not show sign on being altered by man, but who is to say it was not picked up because of it's shape to make something later. Since it was found on a site I would have brought it home:icon_thumright:

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It could have been used if it is polished they may have picked it up out of a creek seeing its symetrical shape although its more of a disk than a perfectly round rock i have found similar peices and am convinced they were handled a great deal because of the polish and were they were found as you said it was found on a hill not in a creek bed .

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These Stone and Pottery Discs are considered Game Pieces by some people. You can tell these were altered by man to get to this final shape.

Attachments

• DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 67

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it and think you should hang on to it and ask a local archaeologist about it. I posted a stone on here and nobody knew what it was and it turned out to be a game stone identified by our local archeologist. To be fair, even though your pic is real clear, it's still hard to ID some things unless one has it in hand. Hope you find more awesome stuff on that site!

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just wanted to add that im not saying the other opinions are wrong, it probably was not altered other than being polished by use ,and that is hard to tell by the picture. Also i dont think it would have value other than to the one who found it ,in context with the other finds frim that site. I respect the opinions of those who commented on this very much i have learned a lot from there other posts on this forum.

jeramme

Nov 11, 2010
MN
I would have picked it up.....Nature can play some games with your mind...trust these guys, they know whats up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions