Hardstone single divot anvil

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3788.JPG

Single digit hardstone anvil. PF Jay Co. Ind.

Upvote 0

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I wish I was better at distinguishing actual hardstone artifacts from naturally formed rounded rocks or naturally formed celt-shaped rocks. Oryan I probably would have picked that anvil up, stared at it for 5 minutes, then convinced myself it was natural & tossed it.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting- I have a hard time training my brain to looks for stuff like this. I'm always nose to the ground looking for small flakes.......

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I wish I was better at distinguishing actual hardstone artifacts from naturally formed rounded rocks or naturally formed celt-shaped rocks. Oryan I probably would have picked that anvil up, stared at it for 5 minutes, then convinced myself it was natural & tossed it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GroundStoneArtifacts/

Group I founded and run thatll teach you and solve these problems ��

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some peices that look a lot like that, i have not heard them refered to as an anvil before.I guess they are multi purpose but what do you think they used the one you showed for?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of them myself digit on each side usually some just on 1 side but most double. Nutting stone, Hammer stone , Anvil, or even grinders or all in one tool. Late Woodland loved them for some reason.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of them myself digit on each side usually some just on 1 side but most double. Nutting stone, Hammer stone , Anvil, or even grinders or all in one tool. Late Woodland loved them for some reason.

Ever notice double sided ones have one larger divot than other?. They a lot of times show signs of being used as hammer Stones on edges IMG_3787.JPG or are broken in half. They were definitely a multi tool, I just don't always agree with the pitted hammer Stones idea. Reason being most are pretty rough in the divots. Idk about you but if I was finger tip holding a hammer all day hitting stuff I'd prefer a smooth hole. Grip ( roughness)would not be needed in such hold because the divot provides enough grip.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found any of them broken in half, many times right where the divot is. That to me would not suggest they were held with a finger on each side and hammering , but that there was force being applied directly to the divot when it broke

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes wonder if they werent used as a heating stone to. I find them in campsites where I find points and flakes. Most are a bright red cortex on them that look heat treated at least the broken ones are.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed the same thing rock

Most of the broken ones are a deep red cortex look next time you are out walking. Almost all the ones I find are quartzite to.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the broken ones are a deep red cortex look next time you are out walking. Almost all the ones I find are quartzite to.

I find sandstone ones also. IMG_3913.JPG

And also I know you said "most" but the one I pictured above is a soft type stone almost like limestone or siltstone, and is broken through anvil part IMG_3787.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions