Finds from a few spring hunts

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to walk a friends farm 3 times this spring. First after a the initial discing and before planting. Second after planting and the first batch of rains. Third after a heavier round of rain, and before the corn got too high.
Typical finds for this area, mostly brokes, rejects, scrapers, and a few points.
Notes on some of the finds;
#319 a typically crude side notched point of quartz/quartzite, but having some interesting flecks of reflective mica embedded throughout.
#331 would have been nicer if complete, probably a Palmer type with grinding on what is remaining of the base.
#355 is one of the larger quartzite Morrow Mountain types I've found. It was fully exposed and flat out in a row where I could still see my footprints from my first walk, I don't know if I missed it the first time around or not.
#344 would have been a decent Kirk Stemmed type, but the back side has a big fire pop.
#364 is the divoted anvil/grindstone. Found several during these walks, but this was the most defined, and the rest were too far out in the middle of no where to entice me to haul them back to the truck, so I left them where they sat.
#374 I just like the color on this one, a typical late archaic-early woodland Rossville/Piscataway/Morrow Mountain form that is common in my area.
HH to all

042617 finds numbered A.JPG 051417 finds numbered B resized.JPG 053017 finds numbered B.JPG #329 in situ again on horizon.JPG #349 in situ again resized.JPG #374 on horizon.JPG

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of great finds there! Good luck to ya!

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds........ great pics!

What a day eh?

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice to be able to get out for a walk and even better to get some nice points like that.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found quite a few good ones. Couple questions, whats the #s for on the paper and the biscuit rock what are you calling it?

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the nice responses and comments folks. I do feel very fortunate to have a few friends that let me indulge my passions on their properties, especially this particular bud that also has interest in artifacts, and has found quite a few on his property himself. He even lets me walk through the dried standing corn before harvest if I can stand it in the heat, and am really Jonesing for a hunt.

Short story LOL, on my last walk there this spring I drove my truck across his farm to get closer to where the sites are, and in doing so had to open up and pass through his electric cattle fencing, then close the fencing behind me. I had opened the fence, passed my truck through, parked, and got back out to close the fence. I had to carry the two live electric wires around a large and deep mud puddle full of cow doo and reattach them. I slipped in the doo trying desperately not to get covered in it or, shock the s...t out of myself, and in doing so severely sprained or slightly fractured my ankle. After struggling to get back up, re-attaching the wires, and looking around to see if anyone had witnessed my embarrassing tumble, I had a choice to make. Do I call off my final walk of the spring at this site before even getting started, and go home, or to the doctors, or do I "walk it off". Well, there was no way I was not going to have a hunt that day, as my free time lately has been limited, so I hobbled through the rows that day, covering 4.63 miles according to the hand held GPS I carry with me. Hours later as I ended my hunt and returned exhausted to my truck, my bud came by on his tractor, stopping to see if I had any luck, and which parts of the field I had made finds in. He then alerted me to another area on this large farm, out in the middle of nowhere, and away from the water sources, where he had found several points as a kid, near a shallow depression, and slight knoll, that are not as visible now as they once were. I was excited to learn there was another site on this farm I had never explored, but was in no condition at the time to check it out. I am anxious now to return when possible, and explore this new area.

Rock, the #'s by each artifact corresponds to the GPS locations I record for each significant artifact, or sometimes even for the insignificant ones you see, if it was found in an area on the fringe of a site that I want to log just as a record of the extent of each site. I really have come to enjoy doing this, as over time I can plot all the finds on a Google Earth map, and am starting to see trends from these sites that are usually multi-component. I am finding over time that on these large sites, sometimes the early archaic items tend to show up in a certain area, late woodland in others etc. Plus every once in a while I will print out the Google Earth map with all the finds plotted for my friend, and he can see for himself pretty much exactly where I have been picking things up at.
The large stone is a typical "nutting" or grinding stone having a defined pecked or worn divot on one side, and heavy wear around the whole circumference. I am leaning towards calling it an anvil stone rather than a nutter, simply because with all the rather small cobbles around here that they had to make tools with, they certainly needed some sort of anvil to use in the bi-polar fracturing apart of these cobbles, and I think that the divots are most likely do to that process, rather than breaking nuts?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had some fun in my life with those electric fences . It sounds like another place to check out. The corn is high here now so it looks like creeks for me. Glad you were not hurt you had a nice spring with all your finds.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark my finds by the outdoor things in the area as a cross hair line and then log it into my memory as to where I found something. I find archaic to Mississippian artifacts in different levels of height. Makes you wonder if they lived there during winter or summer. Water level is usually lower different times of the year. Droughts and rainy seasons would change the water levels. My latest hunt (yesterday) was around a natural spring. Most of the Mississippian stuff is on the highest ground as the Archaic things are on the lower section towards the spring head. If they ever plowed I bet Paleo would surface by that spring to. There are 2 spring heads on that property both have a good decent amount of chippings around them. Watch out for that cow poo its slippery when wet. I never field wash a artifact in the cow fields :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions