Help ID please

fishingmcginnis

Greenie
Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! Have a look at a neat point I found in my parents gravel driveway after a rain a few weeks ago. This was in a washed out area where we have never found any other artifacts before. It was one of those, out of the corner of my eye, thought it was an oak leaf things. After an inspection of the area a few days later, I found a small flake of the same material, but have since found nothing that has been worked. Any idea on the material and point type? Found here in humid, North Central Georgia. Thanks!! received_10213557061625149.jpeg received_10213557061705151.jpeg received_10213557061985158.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know just how humid it was and is. I was out walking a field today. Got to love the red clay this time of the year. Your material looks like a Jasper to me. Shame on the tip but most have some type of damage when you find them.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. Jasper/ Chert Nice color. Not sure on the point type, but a neat find for sure!

OP
OP
fishingmcginnis

fishingmcginnis

Greenie
Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Anyone have any thoughts of what kind of point it might be?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for starters it a knife. just a guess but either a pentagonal knife or white spring imo. Both are Archaic

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice point, it has a lot of character & use. I agree with everyone that it looks like a nice jasper material. If the base is ground, and it looks like it probably is, I would say it looks like it was a large St. Charles, or other early archaic corner notched point, that was re-sharpened down into a thinner, possibly even drill like, form before the upper portion broke off and it was discarded. I like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread