rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got there early today cause of how hot it is by 12. I walk 3 rows at a time one down the middle and one on each side of me looking left and right till I see something. Cotton is about 12 inches tall in most sections so still low enough to jump a row if needed. I had to speed walk it to cover as much ground as possible. I was surprised as to how clear the ground was and was able to see most everything pretty good. Farmers were spraying the cotton plants in the upper fields. I have noticed grasshoppers in the fields and maybe they are eating the plants not sure. I had to move my truck so the tractor could get by. As I was taking the long walk back to where I was at I saw the quartzite Savannah River laying in the green moss. 1st point find of the day. There are 3 big scrapers in the pic each one is 2x1 inches they look to of been made by the same ancient person by the flaking and design of them. Cashe? I also found some drills but of course almost all had damage. Then there is a black knife and the salt and pepper is a scraper. I find plenty of the salt and pepper material but most times they are worked to preforms only. If I find one worked they are usually broken so it was nice to see something whole in that material. There is still plenty of rows to walk seeing there is 5 large fields on that property. N.GA. surface finds only, rock

Attachments

• SDC12396.JPG
    SDC12396.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the one good thing about chopping cotton or pulling cotton, you could always keep your eyes open for arrowheads. That's where I found my first arrowhead.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like that little point. You hunt fields the same way I do...3 rows at a time. I suspect I miss some with this method however. I always try to go whenever I'm pretty sure the farmer won't show up. Even though I have permission from both the landowners and the farmer leasing the fields, I still feel a little guilty walking other people's properties. I don't even like my footprints to be noticed (which lately has become impossible with all the rain we've had. Good luck out there!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! Is this a new spot?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like that little point. You hunt fields the same way I do...3 rows at a time. I suspect I miss some with this method however. I always try to go whenever I'm pretty sure the farmer won't show up. Even though I have permission from both the landowners and the farmer leasing the fields, I still feel a little guilty walking other people's properties. I don't even like my footprints to be noticed (which lately has become impossible with all the rain we've had. Good luck out there!

Ive met the owner and she said if the farmer doesnt mind its find by her. She has a lot of acres he works. I give the farmers buckets I get for free due to I know somebody, ha. I also make them sticks that arent good enough for walking. I call them cow sticks they use them to push the cows along. They say they like them cause they are lite and they can leave them in different sections of the pastures and people wont steal them. I also have made the farmer a walking stick and a cane cause one time he broke his leg. Ive been walking their fields for 3 years now. If I find a lot of points I make them a frame once a year for Christmas.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! Is this a new spot?

No Ive had permission there for 3 years now. One time I took a friend and one of the family members called the DNR on us. New rule I can only go by myself and they mean it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have patience hunting those big fields

I walked the better sections I know of but still have a few more rows to hit before the cotton gets to high. We are getting so much rain rite now the creeks are flooded and stay full. I like walking the creeks this time of the year cause if you get hot you can dip your good ole boy hat in the water and cool off but in a field you just suffer. I do wet a towel and wrap it around my neck. it stays wet for a few hours to help beat the heat but does dry out. I carry a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade in my back pocket and try to make it last at least 3 hours. By the time 1pm hits the hunt is over due to the heat. Here the hottest part of the day is 2-4 pm.

chrishavoc

Jun 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day to me! I have a couple of fields to hunt but it may be weeks before I can get in them. I prefer to hunt them in the evenings after work so it's not quite so hot. They just finished planting, and it's been raining here nonstop for 2 weeks. Had almost 8 inches in 3 days so of course all my creeks are full.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Ive had permission there for 3 years now. One time I took a friend and one of the family members called the DNR on us. New rule I can only go by myself and they mean it.

Yeah. It is uncomfortable enough just asking someone who doesn't know you for permission to walk their property yourself. I've always thought that if I asked permission for me and a friend, it's more likely they will say no. I've never been told no.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well went back today in the rain. Wore my raincoat but still found the usual broken stuff. I will just add the 2 better finds here. 1 Morrow Mountain which is middle Archaic and 1 broken drill made from Jasper which would of been a good one if the tip wasnt gone. Didnt stay real long today it was nasty out there.

Attachments

• SDC12398.JPG
    SDC12398.JPG
    686.3 KB · Views: 80

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sucks. At least you were able to keep the spot.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks. At least you were able to keep the spot.

Lesson learned. I asked for permission that day to bring him but not all of the family members knew I guess. Everyone in this area that has property has family members that live on the property.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adena

Last hunt the other day at the cotton field its now to tall and I couldnt walk all of it. Found a new campsite and am looking forward to investigating it in the fall. Last point from that area is a Adena Vanishing Stem. The ones in the guides are always the best examples they can find so sometimes its a hard match when you find 1 like mine. I came up with Adena by the size of it and how they described it. This one has a uni design and a tiny stem and is thin. Dates 3000 BP

Attachments

• SDC12399.JPG
    SDC12399.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 60
  • SDC12403.JPG
    SDC12403.JPG
    660.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds .... How did you determine you found a new campsite ? Tons of flaking and Debitage ??

Yes, there was nothing for an hour then all of a sudden the debitage starting showing. It was on a shallow slope so I followed it up till it went flat and there was the point and scrapers. As I looked back of me to the right there was one on the spring heads in view. About 200 ft away so the spring at 1 time might of been there in ancient years. Just cause there isnt water there now doesnt mean there wasnt water then in that spot. One of my best places is a .25 of a mile away from any water in this time frame. Im sure there was water there to at one time.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there was nothing for an hour then all of a sudden the debitage starting showing. It was on a shallow slope so I followed it up till it went flat and there was the point and scrapers. As I looked back of me to the right there was one on the spring heads in view. About 200 ft away so the spring at 1 time might of been there in ancient years. Just cause there isnt water there now doesnt mean there wasnt water then in that spot. One of my best places is a .25 of a mile away from any water in this time frame. Im sure there was water there to at one time.

Sounds like a good spot and so true about the water it's easy to forget how long ago these camps were used and how different the water could have been. ... One of my sites is on a river and there's 100ft high cliffs made of just dirt and clay over the last 10 years I have seen up to 30 ft of cliff eroded away so landscape is always changing.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good spot and so true about the water it's easy to forget how long ago these camps were used and how different the water could have been. ... One of my sites is on a river and there's 100ft high cliffs made of just dirt and clay over the last 10 years I have seen up to 30 ft of cliff eroded away so landscape is always changing.

Ive been out a couple of times since this was posted but havent found anything worth posting just to much rain rite now. I like the rain but not everyday. Have to go mow rite now thanks for the chat it was interesting, rock

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something I found interesting about the huge cotton fields I use to hunt years ago. Looking on google map not long ago I noticed something that really stood out. The photos were taken in the winter. It was very noticeable that in the areas of he fields where the most artifacts were found, the soil was much darker. Just wanted to pass that along and wondering if others have notice similar?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread