93.5 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like natural stone with natural erosion.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey im only 45 mins west of you, still loking for artifacts here. though towars you would be a much better location with the iriquios

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it does look natural but it also looks modified...perhaps some close ups of the middle part that looks pecked at?

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, context means everything. If it was found in a place where there are no native rocks or stones, then it could be an artifact. Maybe not one that was shaped or altered, but used in it's natural form. Years ago, I found two polished stones on St. George Island in Florida beside an old midden and mound that has been subsequently razed. They were nearly the size of baseballs, but a bit elliptical. They may or may not have been polished by an Indian, but obviously they had some sort of usage or meaning to that particular individual. My point is that items of interest need to be looked at contextually, and then make your best guess. These guys on here know their stuff pretty well, and are very good at seeing alterations or manipulations-but give some context. If it was found where there are plenty of rocks, odds are that there will be something that resembles a tool by plain natural erosion or formation.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sticks and Stone Will Break Your Bones!

Ancient Indians were very good at carving weapons from stones.

Ancient Indian Ax Heads!

Axe Head.jpg

Axe Head 2.jpg

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

Ancient Indian Ax Heads!

View attachment 1467430

View attachment 1467431

I agree, them Natives were very good at manipulating stone............

Unless you have better pics from better angles, the things pictured in this thread, don't show it (at least to me) as axes.

Are you calling the first pictured piece in this thread an ax head too?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ancient Indian Ax Heads!

View attachment 1467430

View attachment 1467431

Sorry Robot, but neither of those pieces are Axes. The top one is 100% natural and formed by erosion just as the original piece posted above was. The bottom piece is a stylized Birdstone and I have seen that exact piece in the Don Ham collection. It is pictured in his book Birth Of A Culture and is from Tennessee. It is definitely not an Axe and neither is the other pieces posted here.

Please look closely at these two pictures. These are Axes and a few other Stone Tools.

Attachments

• 2017-03-26 19.50.39.jpg
    2017-03-26 19.50.39.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 2017-03-26 19.50.52.jpg
    2017-03-26 19.50.52.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 82

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Both are of pictures off the internet from researchers calling them "Ancient Indian Ax Heads and Birdstone".

Second picture asking price US $ 1300.00!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can post pictures of natural rocks, call them ancient axes, put huge price on them and sell them to uneducated buyers, they are still natural rocks.

There are lots of fake artifacts on the net for sale

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How Early Man Got Stoned!

I can post pictures of natural rocks, call them ancient axes, put huge price on them and sell them to uneducated buyers, they are still natural rocks.

There are lots of fake artifacts on the net for sale

Indian stone makers.jpg

Yes, but when it is certified by a claimed expert to be a "Birdstone", I will go with the experts opinion!

Axes | Bannerstones | Birdstones | Indian Arrowheads-Artifacts used by Ancient Native Indians

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of bad artifacts with COAs sold.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, context means everything.

Exactly ! I have found rocks that are questionable as artifacts as well....but where I found them made me look at them differently. No other stones like them around, and among areas of chert/obsidian flakes.
Like this thing.....

11111.jpg

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Little Birdy Told Me!

Exactly ! I have found rocks that are questionable as artifacts as well....but where I found them made me look at them differently. No other stones like them around, and among areas of chert/obsidian flakes.
Like this thing.....

View attachment 1467739

Looking more like a "Birdstone"!

Stated to have been used as "Burial Artifacts"...Very! Valuable!

What Is A Birdstone?

You may want to have them verified as to their authenticity.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you have a great experience of knowledge in a very specific area you can spot fakes or manipulated objects in your field of expertise practically at a glance. There are certain things i KNOW about, things i have handled and researched and bought and sold hundreds of times....i aint saying woodland axes are one of them, I am just saying that if you had a question about something I do KNOW...no COA in the world is going to make lamb out of mutton.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was found with other artifacts maybe than its possible it was an artifact..I believe is what you're saying..

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both are of pictures off the internet from researchers calling them "Ancient Indian Ax Heads and Birdstone".

Second picture asking price US $ 1300.00!

Dont be surprised by the price of a birdstone. I have seen the best sell for over $100,000....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions