Western NC mountains artifact?

Jlynn

Greenie
May 24, 2014
East Coast (mid-Atlantic region)
Primary Interest:
Other
My son found this several years ago on property that my family owns on a river. I've taken it to a couple people to look at but they were unable to identify only to say "it's really old!"
It's hollowed on either end but doesn't go all the way through. The coloring looks as though it was stained or painted an orange color. I have other photos if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jlynn

Greenie
May 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you familiar with the story of Charles Church finding a native american rock shelter in Valle Crucis on the banks of the Watauga River in the 1960's? It was filled with artifacts and the remains of hundreds of animals. What you have could be some sort of ceremonial piece, associated with a hunting shrine or other such ceremonial purpose .

Awesome! Thanks for that tip! That makes sense because it is so ornamental, it seems all of the other artifacts I see are sonutilitarian. I'll go research that! I'll be back in Valle Crucis later this month so it will be interesting to read up on before I come back.

OP
OP
J

Jlynn

Greenie
May 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've sent an email to an Archaeologist at app state who has overseen digs in the area, said he is happy to look at the pictures and offer an opinion. Fingers crossed we might get an answer :happy3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread