Jacks reef pentagonal?

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This point is certainly pentagonal but is it a jacks reef if not what is it? I would guess this is from the same time period as hamiltons and other woodland points, can anyone tell me anything else about it? It is a personal find from middle Tennessee. I found all the points in the frame from the same site . 0708170900a.jpg 0708170900.jpg 0708170859b.jpg 0706171903.jpg

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you nailed it. Jacks reef. They are all not exactly alike. These are Tn points.

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice points tnmountains i love the small finely flaked stuff like this even though some of it is not as old here is two more similar points i have acquired 0718171733.jpg

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could that be mouse creek tnmountain that first one that comes out with little barbs on the side i mean the one you posted

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a nice point whatever name you end up calling it. It looks a little different from the Jacks Reef Pentagonal points we find up here on the Delmarva, but not much. One of the diagnostic traits of Jacks Reef Corner Notched, and Pentagonal points is their thinness, just like yours exhibits. HH

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the base is all there, then it is certainly not at JR. The jacks are more pentagon all in nature, and yours is more or less triangular. Also, the Jack's contain ears that yours does not, And is also corner notched. It is certainly thin which jacks are not to be so I would relate to another arrowhead type most likely late prehistoric.

We need to keep in mind that there are two types of Jack Reef points:

Jack Reef Pentagonal:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

Jack Reef Corner Notch:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

JR Pentagonals are often interpreted as an un-notched stage of the JR Corner Notch, but, while that may have often been the case, it's likely they were also used as is....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the first photo here, a JR Pentagonal on the left and a JR Corner Notched on the right. Both fashioned from Braintree Hornfels and both from the same site. In the second photo, two forms of JR Corner Notched points. Again, these are all from the same site. Note in the second photo that the one on the left does not have a pentagonal blade outline. JR Corner Notch points do not all have pentagonal blade outlines. I call the non pentagonal form example seen here the "ace of spades" form. I just made that term up because that's what shape it reminds me of. There is a third form, which I cannot show examples of that is known to collectors here, and is shown in our New England guides, as the "thunderbird form".

IMG_8105.JPG IMG_8106.JPG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Over the years, there is a common mistake I have seen collectors make regarding JR points. Someone will post a nice JR Corner Notch, and it will display the classic pentagonal blade form. They will then say "here is a Jack's Reef Pentagonal I found". Of course, they are saying this because of the blade form. But, the mistake made is that it is not a JR Pentagonal. It is a JR Corner Notch.

I don't hunt where the point in this thread was found. But I can say that it falls within the shape range of a JR Pentagonal point.....

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the information charl and for all the comments and i love seeing the other examples that have been posted in this thread all really nice artifacts i really didnt know what i had in the point i showed other than it was pentagonal , thats what i love about this forum is how much you can learn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread