Think it maybe...

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this spherical stone looking object in the desert outside of El Paso, Texas. It seems to be made out of some sort of caliche. After doing research on the internet, I came across Indian gaming stones and stick stones.

IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2790.JPG

The other stone might be a mano or some tool that went with a metate? It was found in the same region.

IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG

I would greatly appreciate any information or thoughts. Is it what I think it might be? As always, thanks for taking the time and viewing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply Quito. I like the round one too. I don't think it is natural, because it was found in the desert, not near any water that would form that shape. It is made of some sort of clay type mud mixed with grass. To me it looked like these stones: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500303725.718770.jpg

Of course I appreciate any input, and it could be natural. I just have my doubts.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it could be a gaming stone but I think it might be a chert nodule. knock on it with something see if it has a hollow feel to it, or a solid feel. Hollow sound then it's not a gaming ball, solid feel/sound then you have a 50/50 of it being a chert nodule or a gaming ball, and even then it could be up for argument, but it's cool.

Hollow, why you ask. I've found multiple chert nodules over the years that are hollow, either chalky on the inside or crystalline coated insides. But all that was from southern Kentucky so who knows what the desert is doing

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Allen, for your insight. I by no means am an expert on rock formations. It is definitely not hollow, and it is oddly shaped. If I were to crack the stone into pieces, I am almost positive that the inside would look exactly like the outside. It is not like a geodestone, as I've cracked many of those open. Your inference to chert nodules guided me to look that up. I can see how they are similar but very dissimilar. There is a chip on it, and it has no mineralization layers. It is solid type material that is a culmination of other composites, that appear to have been molded into a ball shape. The place in which it was found consists of sandy dunes and scrub brush, and Native American presence was very prevalent in that area. The nearest rock beds would be about 20 miles away.

Again, I thank you for your insight, as it has made me more curious. Maybe I can further test the rock; that will require more research on my part, as previously stated, I am not a rock expert. I do have experience with the land and its diversities in southern New Mexico, and I have not come across a stone that resembles the one found. Thank you for taking the time to respond, as it is appreciated.

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks pretty cut and dry to me. It is a concretion nodule. Just because there's no water source now, doesn't mean that water was not around millions of years ago. Keep in mind, that it takes millions of years for stone to form into the shape you see today. Just look at the West Coast, there are concretion nodules by the millions-even 10 times larger than the one you have depicted. Some contain fossilized organisms, others contain nothing at all. While it certainly is spherical, which is not uncommon for mother nature produced rocks, if I were to bet money on it, it is no doubt natural.

OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Arrow 1492, do you have any pictures of any concretion nodules that would resemble my pictures? I know all about water and millions of years, being that I live in the Permian Basin. The thought process here is not formation, rather composite of material and how it comes together. The size matters only to think that maybe Native Americans did not kick around stones that are 10 times larger than the one I found, again in the middle of sandy dunes across from the mexican border, where many of the natives play stone games, to this very day, and in the heart of New Mexico...Although I stated that I am not a rock expert, does not mean I'm an idiot. Fossils line the shelves on many of my walls, and I found them on rock formations in different locations. If you are going to bet money, how much? What expertise do you have to show?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Arrow 1492, do you have any pictures of any concretion nodules that would resemble my pictures? I know all about water and millions of years, being that I live in the Permian Basin. The thought process here is not formation, rather composite of material and how it comes together. The size matters only to think that maybe Native Americans did not kick around stones that are 10 times larger than the one I found, again in the middle of sandy dunes across from the mexican border, where many of the natives play stone games, to this very day, and in the heart of New Mexico...Although I stated that I am not a rock expert, does not mean I'm an idiot. Fossils line the shelves on many of my walls, and I found them on rock formations in different locations. If you are going to bet money, how much? What expertise do you have to show?

You asked for opinions and are getting several so why the smart ass replies? Why should we help you if you are just going to make negative comments back to us? I gave you a link. You want to make me feel small now too? SMH

Last edited:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians made marbles out to stone also..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread