NC Guilford Point

Carlos2295

Apr 24, 2014
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 2 weeks ago, I was metal detecting a construction site here in NC. I didn't find any metal, but on a pile of excavated dirt, I found what appeared to be a knapped point. I took it home, photographed it, and emailed Duke University anthropology, asking what they thought. They definitely thought it was a knapped point and said that the Office of State Archaeology might know. I emailed the office, and they responded within a few hours. Here's part of what they said:

Thank you for calling and for sending in photos of the point you found. I believe it’s most (missing the tip/end) of a Guilford projectile point, which dates to the Middle Archaic period of prehistory, about 4,000 BC. Here is a link to a description from a site that tells about different kinds of points, Guilford Round Base Projectile Point. It’s possible the point was brought to the surface through the construction work going on at the apartment complex. Sometimes, artifacts are brought in with fill dirt.

This is my first point, so I'm very excited! I know many people here have found countless points and relics, but this was just so cool to me. Especially since I just moved to this state and already found something so quickly. This is definitive proof that the very land I walked on was inhabited 6,000 years ago.

0726170735.jpg 0726170736.jpg 0726170736a.jpg 0726170736b.jpg 0726170736c.jpg 0726170736d.jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, and I would agree with the response you got from Duke University. Keep checking those construction sites for both metal and stone. We would love to see what else you might find HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread