rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday I found this small piece and thought maybe it was a small knife. Then I remembered the big blades I found last year that were broken in the same creek. I put the small one on them all and I think its a match by the flaking of the 2. If so what would it be if whole? And whats the odds of that like 1 in a million to find both halves in a creek a year apart. Tell me what you guys think, rock

Attachments

• SDC12449.JPG
    SDC12449.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in for about 75%! Reason is, that white vein seems to pick back up in the small piece. Maybe there is a little still missing. Still pretty cool either way.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well it either fits together or it don't. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

Amen!!

I held on to two pieces that were close, thinking just a bit of the middle was missing like. I later found the real rest of the piece. I can see how this happens.
I'm gonna dredge up that old post.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like it fits to me .

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Am I missing pics of the other side?

No, there isn't a missing pic.

My guess is it doesn't look like as much of a match on the other side.

Maybe there is a piece missing and the two belong together with it. But nobody can seriously look at that pic and honestly say them two pieces match up, because they don't. One break is about as straight as an arrow, and the other has the shape of a re-curve bow.

If anyone want to see some matches, look at the 2 old posts I put up again.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the feeling you already knew and it was a trick question, and the answer would be opposite of what we might conclude by looking posted pictures. A refitted creek find....rare!

Well after posting I did go back and look at the flaking from one to the other and saw it matched up. I didnt know when I first posted. It is missing a segment Im guessing a 8th of a inch or so cause the base doesnt match exactly as you can see the difference in width from base to blade. Im thinking on getting it restored just by the rarity of such a thing as anybody knows it is close to impossible to achieve and I say almost impossible cause I just did it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, there isn't a missing pic.

My guess is it doesn't look like as much of a match on the other side.

Maybe there is a piece missing and the two belong together with it. But nobody can seriously look at that pic and honestly say them two pieces match up, because they don't. One break is about as straight as an arrow, and the other has the shape of a re-curve bow.

If anyone want to see some matches, look at the 2 old posts I put up again.

Dont be jealous if you studied the flaking you could see it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I use to own a 44, so I know what your saying. That would get my attention real fast too!
I don't get a chance to to hunt that often these days, but when I do I always send a text to the property owner a few day in advance, tell what I'm driving where I'll be parking, and since some of them have hired farm hands or neighbors that keep and eye on things I always write on a full size piece of paper that I'm there with permission,my name, and my cell #, put it on the dash . So for I've never any problems.

Most of the owners I do send a text to but some just know what I drive and my height being almost giant its hard to not know who I am. I do use the paper on the dash but dont give my name or the owners cause I dont want other people using my info and do the same thing on their dash.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in for about 75%! Reason is, that white vein seems to pick back up in the small piece. Maybe there is a little still missing. Still pretty cool either way.

The flaking on the right corner matches up also its hard to see in the pic but in hand there is a color difference thats darker on both sections.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there would be a difference in opinion especially if you dont find this color and type of flint. The quartz inclusion runs from the big piece to the smaller piece the inclusions just dont fall the same direction like that in this type of flint unless its made from the same rock. The flaking also shows a match. I have studied many pieces from my area not just my finds. But thanks everyone, rock

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I knew there would be a difference in opinion especially if you dont find this color and type of flint. The quartz inclusion runs from the big piece to the smaller piece the inclusions just dont fall the same direction like that in this type of flint unless its made from the same rock. The flaking also shows a match. I have studied many pieces from my area not just my finds. But thanks everyone, rock

Well I guess since you can know one piece was in the water one year longer than the other, you must really know your rocks, site, and creek.

I won't be doubting you again.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think its a match by the flaking of the 2....

Tell me what you guys think, rock

Rock, you post the title with a question mark, and then asked for opinions... You got them.

I don't think Quito was being Jealous by simply saying that the pieces don't align properly to be a match. They might be from the same piece like I mentioned, but like a jigsaw puzzle, if they don't fit together they simply don't.

If you want to show the flaking cool, take a picture at an angle and show the flaking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread