rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday I found this small piece and thought maybe it was a small knife. Then I remembered the big blades I found last year that were broken in the same creek. I put the small one on them all and I think its a match by the flaking of the 2. If so what would it be if whole? And whats the odds of that like 1 in a million to find both halves in a creek a year apart. Tell me what you guys think, rock

Attachments

• SDC12449.JPG
    SDC12449.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat! This never happens. Except this time.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im kinda on the fence, it could be, perhaps some is gone in between . ether way it was probably a blade.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's crazy. i'd call it a blade as well...

I seem to recall some dude on here a long time ago found the other half of his bannerstone under a tree stump... :blob7:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Looks like it may be, but the pic doesn't really make it look like a match.
If it is, it will fit together nicely and it will be obvious.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really looks like a match! How cool is that!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may be, but the pic doesn't really make it look like a match.
If it is, it will fit together nicely and it will be obvious.

I'm with Quito on on this one Rock, unless the the two pieces are just misaligned I'm seeing "close" but no cigar.
I do have a question for you though. When I've tried in the the past to match points that I've found that are missing there bases with stemmed and notched bases that I've found, I quickly realized that there are hundreds perhaps thousands of different shades of white Burlington chert. My question is, (and I realize a lot of your finds come from creeks) most of your finds are black and is that because the lithic material is black or due to creek stain/patina?
If the black color is natural, do you also see a miriad of different shades of black when setting one beside another?

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my lifetime of hunting, I've refitted together about 10 points. They were all field finds, sometimes found on the same day (same area), and sometimes years apart. I'm certain I have more in my collection because I still have everything I"ve ever found including ALL brokes. I think the odds of refitting broken creek finds are real slim. That looks close, but not quite. But I'm not holding it my hand like you are. I recently found a broken kirk, stanly, or savannah river point that I'm certain is the same point because both the base and the top section which I have are exactly matching speckled white rhyolite.....I'm just missing a small midsection. Does yours fit EXACTLY together on the one side (left side as you hold it) and is just missing a little more of the corner on the right? If some of the cortex on the base extended over into the top half I might be more convinced. Good luck out there. I saw you had some good finds this week.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It doesn't quite look like a clean match to me. That said both pieces could still have been from one original biface.

1. The profile/thickness can tell you a lot, most bifaces have a taper that still lines up if you are missing pieces. (Or completely rejects the possibility of a match because they are very different thicknesses.)

2. I've hunted the same quarry site for years, and have seen a lot of pieces with compound fractures (shatter breaks that left more than three pieces.) Not every break was a clean snap.

3. Often times the larger chunk has an attempted rework or saw use as quick tool, which can complicate matching.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye Rock! I would say "match" ......wow!

If you study the flaking from each piece you will then see its a match. The colors are a bit different because of the stain. 1 piece has been in the sand and water a year longer but it is probably missing a tiny section in between and of course I doubt I will ever find that section due to the size it would be so tiny of a piece almost a pin in thickness. Thanks for seeing it Albertaclipper.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Quito on on this one Rock, unless the the two pieces are just misaligned I'm seeing "close" but no cigar.
I do have a question for you though. When I've tried in the the past to match points that I've found that are missing there bases with stemmed and notched bases that I've found, I quickly realized that there are hundreds perhaps thousands of different shades of white Burlington chert. My question is, (and I realize a lot of your finds come from creeks) most of your finds are black and is that because the lithic material is black or due to creek stain/patina?
If the black color is natural, do you also see a miriad of different shades of black when setting one beside another?

Many pieces are natural black it grows in the creeks. But yes some are black from stain. I dont always hunt creeks I like field finds to but all the crops are grown rite now. The summer is the best time to hunt a private creek but you have to get permission. Sometimes even with permission the owners will sell and forget to tell you and move. Like today, the other owners didnt care but seeing I dont know the new ones they cared a lot. Needless to say have you ever heard a 44 go off in a creek? I didnt stay long thats for sure.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you study the flaking from each piece you will then see its a match. The colors are a bit different because of the stain. 1 piece has been in the sand and water a year longer but it is probably missing a tiny section in between and of course I doubt I will ever find that section due to the size it would be so tiny of a piece almost a pin in thickness. Thanks for seeing it Albertaclipper.

I had the feeling you already knew and it was a trick question, and the answer would be opposite of what we might conclude by looking posted pictures. A refitted creek find....rare!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many pieces are natural black it grows in the creeks. But yes some are black from stain. I dont always hunt creeks I like field finds to but all the crops are grown rite now. The summer is the best time to hunt a private creek but you have to get permission. Sometimes even with permission the owners will sell and forget to tell you and move. Like today, the other owners didnt care but seeing I dont know the new ones they cared a lot. Needless to say have you ever heard a 44 go off in a creek? I didnt stay long thats for sure.

Ya, I use to own a 44, so I know what your saying. That would get my attention real fast too!
I don't get a chance to to hunt that often these days, but when I do I always send a text to the property owner a few day in advance, tell what I'm driving where I'll be parking, and since some of them have hired farm hands or neighbors that keep and eye on things I always write on a full size piece of paper that I'm there with permission,my name, and my cell #, put it on the dash . So for I've never any problems.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now a 44 is not something you want to find! It is so weird that one creek on our farm has the normal variety of colors and chert, but the other one is full of straight flat black rocks. I guess it is because that particular creek is intermittently dry. Strange thing is they converge, but I never see black rocks further downstream. Maybe they lose the stain?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread