CanadaHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined Treasurenet.com so please excuse any mistakes. Here are some items that I recently found. I am planning to take them to a public identification forum but let me know if you have any thoughts:

Moving from right to left. At the right are stone balls that were dug up at a construction site on my parents' property. There were ten (10) in total but five are shown here. I thought they might have once been in a sack of some kind that rotted away. I saw other examples in this forum and some thought they were North American Indian Artifacts and others that they were part of a manufacturing process.

Next from the right is a magnetic black rock that appears to have been shaped into a spear tip.

Third from the right is a rock with a hole in it. I thought that it might be a pendant.

The last one is a black rock that is also brown with rust. It is lightly magnetic and somewhat heavy. I think it could be slag or possibly a meteorite.

Attachments

• IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you with us, but you might not like what I am going to tell you. Your large stone balls are Milling Stones used to debur metal parts and are actually a very common find. We see these all the time on here and other sites and I too have found some. They are not Game Balls or Indian related at all. The second piece looks to be slag and is not a Point. The third piece is a natural stone with a natural hole so most likely not a Pendant of any kind. As for the last piece being a meteorite, it could be but I am not that familiar with them so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else will chime in and let you know about that piece.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Curios if you found these next to a river of some sort? you could be finding stuff from a old iron mill were there was stoves skillets or other iron products were made. you know Iron slag ,deburring stones.

OP
OP
C

CanadaHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are great comments Grim Reaper and Sawmill Man, thank you! The more I learn the better and I like the way these might fit into a story around an old iron mill by the river. I am also taking a couple of these to a public identification forum so I will post the results of that - particularly for the slag / "meteorite". Cheers!

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Curios if you found these next to a river of some sort? you could be finding stuff from a old iron mill were there was stoves skillets or other iron products were made. you know Iron slag ,deburring stones.

That's a good observation. I noticed the slag and the mill balls, but I didn't link the two that way.

OP
OP
C

CanadaHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you with us, but you might not like what I am going to tell you. Your large stone balls are Milling Stones used to debur metal parts and are actually a very common find. We see these all the time on here and other sites and I too have found some. They are not Game Balls or Indian related at all. The second piece looks to be slag and is not a Point. The third piece is a natural stone with a natural hole so most likely not a Pendant of any kind. As for the last piece being a meteorite, it could be but I am not that familiar with them so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else will chime in and let you know about that piece.

I just got back from the public identification forum at the Museum and happy to report that you were 100% correct on all counts. The stone balls are put in a tumbler to debur; the second piece is metal slag; the third piece is limestone with a natural hole and my last piece is a meteor-wrong (actually crystal stone with magnetite). I am going to do some more metal detecting in the next couple of weeks and will post any new findings in Today's Finds or What is it? Thanks again to you and Sawmill Man for your insights!

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well thanks, i hope you find truck loads of relics. i researched a lead i got about civil war skirmishes and found out about mill sites that had lots of slag and foundry components .while it was fresh on my mind you showed up with that type relics. good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread