CONERLY

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think I ever posted this little point. It is from my pasture collection" courtesy of my horses. It reminds me of a feather. It has a definte twist and oblique transverse flaking. The back still has some cortex on it I think. I'm not sure if the twist was intentional or had a specific purpose. After really reading up on the specifics it seems to me to have the characteristics of a conerly. Love to hear your ideas and information!

Attachments

• 20170815_125136.jpg
    20170815_125136.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170815_125049.jpg
    20170815_125049.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20170815_125209.jpg
    20170815_125209.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170815_125144.jpg
    20170815_125144.jpg
    799.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet...that's all I have to say. ;)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking I do believe we are to far north for that type.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep looking I do believe we are to far north for that type.

We're about 250 miles to the northwest of where the distribution area is most concentrated. Overstreet includes Conerly in Florida and Tennessee. I've just recently purchased the Overstreet guide and don't know how reliable it is as far as distribution goes. It has some characteristics of a Guiliford. The base matches the illustration for lobed in Overstreet, which if correct makes it extra challenging to indentify. As does the majority oblique transverse flaking. Hmmmmm.....
It would be so much easier if they would have just engraved the type on each one when they made them lol!

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice colors on it , looks like it could be a knife .
I need to learn more about the difference in a projectile point and a knife. I don't recognize what would be a knife except in this knife which is really really obvious. In fact, I actually use this knife all the time to cut hay string and other things around the farm. It was a personal find given as a gift to me from my daughter's fiancé. Do knives have a typology or specific names like a projectile point? I'm going to be on this learning curve a long, long time I think lol!

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's sweet...that's all I have to say. ;)
Lol! You want to say more...it's ok. I'm just guessing on the type. My feelings will not be hurt in the least :)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure. But it is a nice find. You guys have some wild looking material down there

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! You want to say more...it's ok. I'm just guessing on the type. My feelings will not be hurt in the least :)

:) I have nothing more to say because I have nothing to add of value. I am noticing that with identifying (with some exeptions) most are just best guesses.

I have a book about stuff out west and "types" and a lot of what I have, and what I have seen aren't really any type specifically, but a rock made into a point because of what made the most sense to the maker. :icon_scratch:

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape and the material looks Conerly, but the flaking and the rough material near point don't look like any I have seen. The material could have came from the coastal plains of Georgia. There is not much difference in a knife and a dart point but the knife gets re sharpened like yours and the dart point is not usually sharpened that much.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is two

Here is two you can compare yours to, they were found near area where Conerlys were found and named. 100_5310.JPG

Attachments

• 100_5309.JPG
    100_5309.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guilford is possible we do find them in this area. Id say more Guilford than Mac Corkel which was my 2nd guess. I think I have a couple Guilfords I have found but like you Im just not sure.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is two you can compare yours to, they were found near area where Conerlys were found and named. View attachment 1483388

Those look much, much larger than this little point or knife. This also has a more elliptical cross section than flattened. I honestly don't know how anyone ever knows what the typology really is. There are so many similar characteristics in so many of the types. I think I need to learn more about what makes a point belong to a particular time period than what the name of it is. Now if I could just find a clovis I think that flute would just give it away lol! Thank you for helping me learn more about these :)

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guilford is possible we do find them in this area. Id say more Guilford than Mac Corkel which was my 2nd guess. I think I have a couple Guilfords I have found but like you Im just not sure.
Guilford was one of my first guesses as well. Especially the round base as they look very similar except for mine has a lobed base. At least I think it does. This Conerly in particular is what made me think mine might be one as well. Of course looking at it again...meh...not so much. Anyway, happy to have found this one too!

Attachments

• IMG_3288.PNG
    IMG_3288.PNG
    838.5 KB · Views: 45

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the quartz and quartzite it is hard to see the flaking if it is made from a rough type. I study the flaking myself and at least I know what time frame they are from to give a point I.D. or at least a guess. But everyone has a opinion of their own thats why I like these types of forums. After 1 is given you can go look it up and see if it matches. Sometimes its a match sometimes it isnt but either way I never tell the person if they are wrong Im just thankful for the guess.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you dont mind but I think this one is a Guilford made from black flint might be just a knife not sure. What you think?

Attachments

• SDC10054.JPG
    SDC10054.JPG
    650.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the quartz and quartzite it is hard to see the flaking if it is made from a rough type. I study the flaking myself and at least I know what time frame they are from to give a point I.D. or at least a guess. But everyone has a opinion of their own thats why I like these types of forums. After 1 is given you can go look it up and see if it matches. Sometimes its a match sometimes it isnt but either way I never tell the person if they are wrong Im just thankful for the guess.

I agree! I'm so thankful for any information as it just opens the door to more learning. I've learned so much from the responses I've had over my time on the forum. I wish I had more to offer, but my knowledge base is too small just yet. I ran across this about typology and was dismayed to read this... "realistically most projectile points are not typeable". Sigh.....Apparently I'm a wanna be "splitter". The article discusses "lumpers" and "splitters" in typeology. Those who generalize and those who are into the fine details. I wish I could access the whole thing, but it was a good short read on typeology.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4615-0615-7_5

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope you dont mind but I think this one is a Guilford made from black flint might be just a knife not sure. What you think?

I think you may be correct on mine. This is from the Maryland Museum of Archaeology - looks really similar. The base of yours looks similar as well. Flaking is different, but there are so many variations on the Guiliford that it seems to fit as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread