Native American or Modern American, that is the question

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals, I sifted this little piece last week in an area that was a stones throw from long gone mound sites. I was lookin for bottles,buttons,marbles and not necessarily NA. the possibility is always there to find something of that nature seeing that Native peoples occupied the land long before the 19th century trash pits and privies were dug. Anyhows, what is the concensus on this little piece? it appears to be tempered with shell and looks like fingers in the form. I know very little about this type of find so please straighten me out here. Thanks for lookin, vn.

DSC01083.JPG DSC01084.JPG

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea. Not sure what the round balls on top would be? If it is natural is sure is strange !

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were at one time several more of those balls lined up next to the ones still there, but they have been broken off with the rest of the piece. I can see the indented places where they once sat. I am not sure that NA made pieces or figures like this being solid, or if they were hollow formed. Heck I don't know what this even would have been. I thought maybe a fossil formation from inside of a shell but after closer inspection, it is definitely not natural.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see some type of medium in it like shell, limestone. They fired a lot of things. Have seen little statues but those balls kinda throws everything off?

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you think they might have had a claw foot pot of some sort ,maby like the claw foot bath tubs. could be possible in a spot like that.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no idea what it could be, but it sure is a really interesting find. I'm curious to see what it turns out to be.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being schooled in NA artifacts, I dont even know if the material that it is made from or tempered with is consistent with middle Florida findings. I reckon that would be the first thing I need to determine. I just dont know of other examples that may even suggest a similar form, although it was suggested a claw foot type leg from a basin. It could just as easy be some homemade shop project from the 1880s-1900 period.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A material question...
Is it light weight for its size, or is it more consistent with the weight of something made of concrete that size?

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having the crushed shell media makes it very interesting , could been just a project, but i cant wait to see if you can find anymore pieces around that area .

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A material question...
Is it light weight for its size, or is it more consistent with the weight of something made of concrete that size?

It is lightweight, doesn't feel like the weight of concrete.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the crushed shell media makes it very interesting , could been just a project, but i cant wait to see if you can find anymore pieces around that area .

I was screning there today and no more pieces from this same thing. I have been working this spot pretty regular over the last few months and this was the first and last of this material.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting for sure. Not to schooled on fossils but that was my first thought. Looks like a foot. Toenails and all.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its more modern and is a type of plaster or a mix with cement and other materials in it. Looks like a piece of a bird bath to me but I can see why you thought it might be NA.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its more modern and is a type of plaster or a mix with cement and other materials in it. Looks like a piece of a bird bath to me but I can see why you thought it might be NA.

Thanks rock, I will have to take your word for it cause I dont really have a clue otherwise. I think the verdict may very well be modern over Native made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread