rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no ax keep looking if you were to try and chop with it it looks like it would crumble into pieces, just a natural rock in a nice shape

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny I saw a couple like this today myself...they do catch your eye, but I think they are broken by cattle/ horses. Possible where you are?

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.C. no offense but you sure don't seem to bring much to the table in these forum discussions.

CanAmRider the sandstone material isn't well suited for Native American tools. It would have probably broke into pieces the first time it were used as an ax or a hammer. I agree it has the shape of a possible tool but they definitely would have chosen a different type of stone when crafting it.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But one thing sandstone was definitely used for ( or most any porus stone with a rough surface ) is a sanding tool or smoothing tool. A shaft abrader would have been made from the same or similar material and would have been used to sand & smooth arrow shafts. The 2nd picture shows what appears to be a slight groove running down the center of it consistent with what a shaft abrading stone might have. Please post a few more pictures of that groove when you get a chance

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enlarging the 2nd and 3rd photo to the max, what would have been the bit, if it were an axe, is rounded, not sharp. But it does not show any usage wear that would explain the rounded aspect if it were simply a bit made blunt by usage. Further, examining those two photos does not show evidence that it was ground into shape in the unbroken, smooth areas. I would have to conclude that it is a broken rock up to this point, pending photos that might suggest it is more then a broken rock....

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.C. no offense but you sure don't seem to bring much to the table in these forum discussions.

CanAmRider the sandstone material isn't well suited for Native American tools. It would have probably broke into pieces the first time it were used as an ax or a hammer. I agree it has the shape of a possible tool but they definitely would have chosen a different type of stone when crafting it.

No offense, mn9000, but I just express my opinion. Opinions are like anal cavities, everybody has one. I don't try to berate other people's opinions. I didn't read anything stating the piece in question was sandstone.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enlarging the 2nd and 3rd photo to the max, what would have been the bit, if it were an axe, is rounded, not sharp. But it does not show any usage wear that would explain the rounded aspect if it were simply a bit made blunt by usage. Further, examining those two photos does not show evidence that it was ground into shape in the unbroken, smooth areas. I would have to conclude that it is a broken rock up to this point, pending photos that might suggest it is more then a broken rock....

I respect your opinion, Charl....

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like sandstone, which wouldnt make a good axe head. But you're in Texas so keep looking and youll find great stuff for sure. Lots of amazing stuff has been found in Texas.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a broken Celt the pole end made of sandstone but as you can see its polished very well. I found it myself in a field. If they ever turn the field again I hope to find the other half.

Attachments

• SDC11593.JPG
    SDC11593.JPG
    740.1 KB · Views: 78
  • SDC11594.JPG
    SDC11594.JPG
    748.3 KB · Views: 100
  • SDC11595.JPG
    SDC11595.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 75

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hmmm.

Rock, no offense but I'm not seeing a celt portion any more than I am seeing an ax bit in the start of this thread. Celts were made of a good hard stone as far as I know, not a sandstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread