Native American Trade Beads? #2

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these glass beads on an old ranch here in Southern AZ, that dates back to the mid to late 1800s or so. Anyway, there is this garbage dump, one main area, and then a fairly large area of ground around it where you can see little bits of purple glass shards and white pottery and tins and stuff like that here and there. There is also some Native American stuff mixed in, including these beads. The red pottery sherds you see in the last photo are common finds at any old place around here, and may be from the old O'odham pottery trade from the late 1800s into the early 1900s a bit. The O'odham still traded for pottery and beads into the early 1900s around here, but I also found the scraper you see nearby, so that makes me think this ranch and garbage dump may have been established on top of an old Indian village site or something, and that the red pottery sherds could be from the villagers, and not from the pottery trade. Red pottery has been made like that for hundreds of years out here, and the way I tell the difference between older stuff and the more modern c.1900 stuff from the pottery trade is by where I find it. This dump is along a wash, coming out of the mountains, and thats where you find a lot of the old Indian sites, along the water or where there used to be water. But its also the site of a ranch, so theres a chance it could be from the more recent pottery trade too.

Hopefully I havent bored any of you too much with all that. Anyway, Ive never found any potential trade beads quite like these, so Id be interested in hearing anybody elses thoughts.
DSC04296.jpg DSC04275.jpg DSC04235.jpg

These are some photos of some other NA trade beads for comparison, and I think I have a match on the blue one.

Venetian Indian Trade Beads 1700s.jpg
Venetian Fur Trade Beads from the 1700s

Surface Finds Indian Trade Beads Texas.jpg
Trade beads from Texas, said to be "surface finds" like mine

TB-Fur-Trade-Beads.jpg
A bunch of other trade beads. The green one looks like it could be one of the ones at the top right.

Cobalt Indian Trade Beads Oregon.jpg
Cobalt Blue trade beads from Oregon, which are very obviously ground down around the ends like my blue one. Im not sure, but I think these are more beads from Venice.

Indian Trade Beads Alabama.jpg

Trade beads from Alabama.

What do you guys think? Trade beads?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My blue bead was filled with dirt like you see in some of the others, and if you look closely you can see bubbles, some swirling from when it was made and some other imperfections like nicks and scratches I think it is. Otherwise it appears to be in pretty good shape. You can also see where it was ground smooth around the holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some more surface finds from Oklahoma:

Trade Bead Found On Surface Oklahoma.jpg

It looks like there are some plain round blue ones mixed in there.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a rivet with a manufacturers stamp on it. Can you make out what it says? SP CO maybe?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LS & Co Or something like that. For Levi Strauss

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That green bead in the first pic? I found one of those exact color this spring! Really cool!:thumbsup: I found a blue oblong bead last year, but when I posted it I didn't get any feed back on it and can't seem to find anything similar online.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking for a bead but so far havent found much of anything drilled in my area. Those are great

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking for a bead but so far havent found much of anything drilled in my area. Those are great

They are not very common finds anymore, I dont think. At least not for surface finds. The archaeologists still dig this stuff all the time. Same with arrowheads and the really colorful pottery sherds. I thinks its just because its 2017, and there are a lot of people who have been coming across this stuff for a lot of years, picking up a piece or two as they pass through. My grandmother and parents used to tell me about the stuff they used to see years and years ago, that were very common finds, but nowadays difficult. Things like clay marbles glass bottle stoppers and stuff like that. The more colorful it is, the more likely someone is going to see it and pick it up. And Im still not entirely convinced these are really trade beads, because of where I found them. But I know others have found the real thing in the same kind of place. (Along a wash on a ranch).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the reason why pottery sherds are often broken to tiny little bits is because of the cattle, which has been stomping all over the Western states for hundreds of years now. Back in time it used to be very common to find large decorated pieces and whole pots and so forth. Ive even heard of people finding whole stuff today, usually after heavy rains have exposed part of it.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool beads. I know just enough about them to usually put my foot in my mouth.

From my experience with beads, the really early dates are valid for some sites around contact period. (English, Dutch, French along the east coast, Spanish in Florida, Texas, and into your area with missions, Russians in Alaska and the Pacific NW.) But many common styles extended for a long time in California, parts of the SW, and on the Plains where groups used beads for a lot longer.

The little green seed bead is 1840's in some areas, but the same beads were still be used well into the 1940's on reservations for tourist trade items. I think the Hudson Bay Company still sells them made on the same equipment in the same factory as they were made 150+ years ago. (Instead of furs, the Hudson Bay Company has evolved into owning a chain of department stores in Canada called The Bay and Saks fifth Avenue in the US.)

The blue beads are Venetian in some areas, Russian blues in other areas, but the reality is they cobalt blue beads were made pretty continuously from the 1700's through the late 1800's.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool.... I've never found any beads or jewelry around here... How did you get the bama beads

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
As a young man, I hunted for points in a creek. There was a lot of pottery shards in the creek too. We would find those blue glass beads, as well as several other varieties of beads. We called them "Indian beads" because we were told that's what they were... I guess trade beads is more appropriate a term.

Congrats sir!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw this much in a find, pretty cool finds and thanks for sharing.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I my studies I have read that Natives would be willing to trade their squaws for a bag of blue beads. I'm not sure why blue ones though......

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beads. I know just enough about them to usually put my foot in my mouth.

From my experience with beads, the really early dates are valid for some sites around contact period. (English, Dutch, French along the east coast, Spanish in Florida, Texas, and into your area with missions, Russians in Alaska and the Pacific NW.) But many common styles extended for a long time in California, parts of the SW, and on the Plains where groups used beads for a lot longer.

The little green seed bead is 1840's in some areas, but the same beads were still be used well into the 1940's on reservations for tourist trade items. I think the Hudson Bay Company still sells them made on the same equipment in the same factory as they were made 150+ years ago. (Instead of furs, the Hudson Bay Company has evolved into owning a chain of department stores in Canada called The Bay and Saks fifth Avenue in the US.)

The blue beads are Venetian in some areas, Russian blues in other areas, but the reality is they cobalt blue beads were made pretty continuously from the 1700's through the late 1800's.

That is some very valuable info. Thank you very much. I dont know much about trade beads so its great to learn more.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats sounds amazing. Do you still have any of those old beads?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool.... I've never found any beads or jewelry around here... How did you get the bama beads

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Im not sure what you mean? Bama bead? I found them on the ground, the color of them caught my eye.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to this thing, the Russian trade beads were hand faceted, and the round ones you see there are modern czech beads put in between the old Russian beads for protection. And it looks like that pile of beads in the photo from Oklahoma are Russian. But after looking at it again, I dont see any round blue ones in that photo like I thought I saw before. Just wanted to say so, my mistake. But if these Russian beads have been found in Oklahoma, could it be possible some ended up in Arizona as well?

What are Blue Russian Trade Beads?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions