(out of town) work point

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Past couple of weeks we been staying out of town in South East Alabama. Our boss has been letting us stay at his hunting club, and there is a huge cotton field across from us. Ended up asking for permission to look around, he didn't mind a bit, turned out he had a big collection hisself. Anyways cotton was pretty tall but I did manage to find a some good ones.... Any info is appreciated on these especially the small one I was wondering if it was a atatl dart?? I looked it up and I think it's a Chattahoochee point. Thanks for looking maybe I find more as soon as it stops raining here.......
f5e014432cc51d6044b7ee346bf148fd.jpg
ffcc6dff06550881d784d9263f9a40fa.jpg
c83cadd89cdfdd1770e0142df4b96a2e.jpg
954fb87f159a4f163e9dada36a0aeaa6.jpg
20986b7c30e16633167d4a6430289d03.jpg
0e46b87b54925930788cfa93aef6a5d1.jpg
66bc58dcc0bf1e2ca68c6854dfce5d34.jpg

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little triangles are probably Hamiltons they are true arrow points and date 1600-1000 BP they are a Woodland period point. The little ones that have stems Im not sure on. You did good.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job dude! You got good eyes, you seem to be able to find them just about anywhere you're at. Like Rock said, true arrow points most likely. That first one looks like it would fly through the air quite nicely.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two triangle pictures are the same. Was pretty excited to find it.... Maybe after all this rain I can find one or two more before we finish the job.... Have you not had any luck Rock??

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two triangle pictures are the same. Was pretty excited to find it.... Maybe after all this rain I can find one or two more before we finish the job.... Have you not had any luck Rock??

After the rain look in the same spot as you found the triangle. I have a spot that I have found 4 in the past 2 years. Ive been working to much slept most of today then felt like going and it was raining. I will get them next time didnt feel like walking in the rain. Skunk lately though.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah these are the first I've found here.. I went a couple of times and found nothing.... But I've found pretty much the general area where everything is so maybe I'll do better than just random walking. Kinda hard to spot them the Cotton's pretty high but everything's sand there so that kinda helps.. maybe you'll have better luck on your next trip it's about time for you to find a killer one!!

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job dude! You got good eyes, you seem to be able to find them just about anywhere you're at. Like Rock said, true arrow points most likely. That first one looks like it would fly through the air quite nicely.
Appreciate it..... Last couple of jobs have been no good for hunting arrowheads but I lucked out on this one.... My boss said his cousin has found some bad ass ones there, he's got a big sifter and a front end loader he uses. .... The fields right by a creek and down the road a couple of miles is a river where there was a pretty big battle with the creek Indians. There's a historical marker there telling all about it.. so hopefully I'll find me a sure enough killer one

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were found in Barbour county and I have absolutely no idea on the material arrow it's all new to me

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first couple of the tiny ones,(yes they do have a classified name) but Native fella I know calls them "practice points" kids would use them he said, I was always told they were bird points. the first one, is a nice one

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Usually, if you find one birdpoint, there's several more in that general area.

OP
OP
coosakid

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im on the creek side of the field for sure but as far as the creek it's more of a swamp id probably find a copperhead instead of an arrowhead but everything I've found is in one general area so im gonna slow down and focus on that area. Gonna check the river out too..... Headed back there today. ..

Is certain types of chert kinda translucent

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
High quality coastal plains chert is. The color variations are from light cream to dark brown. I have found some with an almost agitized appearance. Most of those were more of an orange color.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice finds there! Always fun to hunt a new field. Hope you get to go back for more.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little one qualifies as a bird point, I think. Or maybe you just have very large fingers! Always cool to find one of those little guys. They're tough to spot.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the swamp you might find a Copperhead but more than likely you will find a gator or a cottonmouth but most likely if either of those 2 are in the swamp they will find you. If there are gators it is their mating season and might have nest so be careful. Looking forward to what else you find, good luck

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one's dude.. Good to have new places to hunt. That coastal plain chert is some sweet lookin material. Not sure if we have that around here or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions