Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why I didn't post this here initially, haha

Is this a celt? Is it greenstone? What can you tell me about it?

I have a thread marked as solved in the "What Is It?" forum, but wouldn't mind your input as well! Thanks!

NJ

DSCF0544.JPG DSCF0550.JPG DSCF0570.JPG DSCF0561.JPG DSCF0555.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the material now and will try and spell it but dont expect a lot. Dictrolite well I think its close even my phone wont auto correct that to the correct spelling.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice celt for sure! I have managed to pull several celts out of a field here, This was the first one and I wondered on some of them if they were used both as chisels and celts as a couple look like they were pounded quite a bit on the back ends. It appears to be made of the same material, though I never figured it out myself, but it was found in cayuga county little north of cayuga lake which doesn't look far from you.

blackcelt.jpg blackcelt2.jpg black celt 3.jpg blackcelt4.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice celt for sure! I have managed to pull several celts out of a field here, This was the first one and I wondered on some of them if they were used both as chisels and celts as a couple look like they were pounded quite a bit on the back ends. It appears to be made of the same material, though I never figured it out myself, but it was found in cayuga county little north of cayuga lake which doesn't look far from you.

View attachment 1490229 View attachment 1490230 View attachment 1490231 View attachment 1490232

i have used a screwdriver as a hammer more than once...i am sure the other side of a hafted celt could have been too

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive read where some Celts were used as wedges to help split wood and if that is true then it would of been hit on the end with maybe a hammer stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread