Stuck it out long enough to find two

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw some local farmers staring to harvest their field corn recently, and decided to hit up a friend for a walk through his standing corn before it got too late. I hate to whine, but it got hot & humid quick, the little bit of breeze there was, just made the corn stalk shadows dance faster on the ground, and the spider webs and sweat on my spectacles, got the better of my patience. I walked long enough to find these two pieces, before heading home for some adult refreshments.
I consider the black chert point with the tip gone to be a Bare Island, stemmed point. The shorter quartzite point I just wish I knew. I suppose it could be in the Brewerton Eared family, but with the basil thinning, being almost short flute like on one side, and some grinding on the basal ears and notches, and some hard to see diagonal flaking, it makes me want to hope it is an early archaic variant?

091617 finds indoors.JPG #377 in hand.JPG #376 in situ resized.JPG #376 in situ again.JPG

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found it in our area I would think Hardaway, nice point what ever it is.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , the smaller one is interesting I can see why your thinking archaic. Possibly a Brewerton eared triangle that's well worn. The only other type I see that's similar at all is a Waratan but that would be woodland period and I think it's much older than that.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those in situ pics are great! nice finds!

OP
OP
R

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
If I found it in our area I would think Hardaway, nice point what ever it is.

Thanks everybody.
I was thinking along those lines myself, but wanted to see if anyone else might think the same thing without me saying it first. We very rarely find classically styled Hardaway or Dalton points this far north, but I have come across several small points similar to this one with thinned concave bases, and slightly curved and ground ears, that I would like to believe are early points with Palmer-Hardaway-Dalton characteristics. I have to admit I am biased in my wishful thinking.

I also forgot to make mention of all the grain seeds visible in the insitu photos. One of the newer farming techniques around here is to use crop dusting planes to drop the cover crop seeds into the standing corn or soybeans. The shade and wind protection from the standing crops helps keep the seed moist to enhance germination, and in another week or two when the corn gets harvested, there will already be a carpet of green cover crop in the fields. HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez I hope they dont start doing the new process here I enjoy walking the fields in the winter time. Thats about the only time I can walk the fields anymore is rite after a good freeze that kills all the grass off. I know Im not the best reliable for a point I.D. but I also thought Hardaway when I saw it. We have them here even though I havent been lucky enough to find one yet. Nice couple of points and Im glad you could save them, rock

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy you mentioned the crop dusting I was talking today with my buddy we saw a plane spraying over a corn field that is probably gonna be harvested any day so we couldn't figure out what he was doing ..... Makes sense now

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a corn crop getting harvested near my home this weekend they chopped the corn all the way to the ground which caused the end stalks to shred it looked like they had harvested soybeans when they were done. It was like a carpet all over the whole field. Thats the new thing here to do they can leave it and use it for a cover crop for the winter then let the weeds grow back in on their own, no expense on seeds. Then next year they will disc it in and plant all in the same day. Makes it hard for a head hunter like myself. But I dont have permission on that field anyway.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ones red. Very nice catch with the eared piece. If you are having trouble typing it ,I don't think I could be much help. Its a nice one though.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardaway was my first thought, too. It's a beauty whatever it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread