Paleolithic axe?

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this in a small creek in southwest Iowa. I was told it is a Neolithic axe made out of basalt. Thought maybe I could get more insight from you. 20170927_072333.jpg 20170927_072153.jpg 20170927_072356.jpg 20170927_072232.jpg
All finds were on private property which I have permission to hunt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I just love the passion that a couple of pictures and a misinformed statement can invoke in this forum.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just love the passion that a couple of pictures and a misinformed statement can invoke in this forum.

...after you have been here awhile you get tired of having to repeat over and over "it's a rock" and then have to defend yourself.,.,..

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know about neanderthals or any of that stuff, but the groove is well defined. It also looks well used, by the amount of breaks it has at the ends. Still awesome and probably very ancient, though.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume free minded doesn't mean that you think you can believe whatever you want, but that you're free to look at the facts, which is an admirable stance of a critical mind.
Here are just a couple of sources for the information that I asserted earlier... View attachment 1498822 View attachment 1498823 View attachment 1498824 View attachment 1498825 View attachment 1498826 View attachment 1498827 View attachment 1498828 View attachment 1498829 View attachment 1498830
I'd encourage you you to buy a copy of the latter book, you can't go wrong, less than $20 bucks for one of the best introductions to archaeology sold! View attachment 1498831

Thank you very much. Your help has been very much appreciated.

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Neanderthals have been found in the U.S. to date.

Actually scientists & archeologists have found markings on Mastodon bones earlier this year. They date back to over 130,000, and contain markings of human use. Their (Neanderthals) actual remains may be sparsely located across the U.S because there weren't that many, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. Anything is possible. :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start to a hafted axe and they made them up until contact.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually scientists & archeologists have found markings on Mastodon bones earlier this year. They date back to over 130,000, and contain markings of human use. Their (Neanderthals) actual remains may be sparsely located across the U.S because there weren't that many, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. Anything is possible. :)

I've seen that story and I don't think it's actually been proven yet, has it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

...no...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If the find holds up, who really knows? At that date, there were 5 distinct species of humans on Earth, including ourselves of course. Basically, nobody has been looking at that level because nobody expected good reason to look at that level. That has changed, and only time will tell if other sites that support the suggested conclusions of this site will be discovered. I've seen enough to know it is not a "laugh them out of the room" site, but only time will tell if they are correct....

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy-o-boy have I missed this site!!! I'm down w/ the plague and have some time to be on-line, so thought I'd check out my old pals here. That looks like a very crude axe to me- and I'd def. keep it- so welcome to the new guy w/ the 'Paleolithic' axe!
The books look like something I'd buy --and Charl- can't wait to hear about those lectures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread