Are these tools or flakes??

Wrock

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking for some expert opinions IMG_3686.JPG IMG_3701.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3695.JPG IMG_3700.JPG IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3720.JPG IMG_3723.JPG IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3692.JPG

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of those look like tools to me. There are a couple that I can't tell whether or not they're even flakes but it's probably just the way they're oriented in the pictures. A lot of flake blades, perforators, etc.. In the 4th picture, to the right is a broken "stemmed knife". While interesting and exciting to find and study, that whole lot should not retail for much in terms of dollars, $20-30 I'd think.
Only mentioned the $'s amount in the event you were thinking about purchasing them.
Something for scale of size would've been helpful for better answering your question.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they show some kind of edge rework they are all most likely just waste flakes or debitage.

I'm with Grim, looks like waste and debitage. Keep looking should be some artifacts there somewhere.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see some that do appear to have micro chipping along edge, the fourth one down on the right. Also the one on the bottom left.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I'm surprised you're saying they're just waste flakes / debitage... There's clearly microflaking on some of them. I agree, most is just debitage but there's clearly utilized flakes in that bunch.

D'oh, tnmudman and I must have been typing the same thing at the same time but he beat me to it.

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to tell for sure from the photos about the micro chipping on the edge to make them re-touched flakes.
I think the context they were found in is probably crucial in making a determination.
For what it's worth, I went to a training session at a construction equipment dealer in Houston once back in the 1990's. I was amazed that the whole stone parking lot was covered with fractured flint pieces that looked very much like this material to me.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I really the only one who just sees nature?
I guess location matters, but where I live we have so much flint that it just looks like broken rocks to me.

OP
OP
W

Wrock

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Comanche County, Tx
Thank you all for your info, i had a blast finding these and can't wait to go again. I felt like these were definitely used tools, but I'm not an expert.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly just flake debris, but there are some scrapers mixed in and other pieces that may be crude cutting tools. All appear to be rather crude looking in make and appearance, which could suggest they were made on the spot for one time use, and then discarded.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go easy on the debitage. They're just broken rocks and leaving them on the ground where they are found marks the location of the site. If you're finding it in a field or something it doesnt really matter because the site(s) are already getting plowed through.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st photo, 3rd row down, 2nd from left is a nice scraper. Typical of the ones I see here in AZ. At the bottom of the 1st photo there is one ore two more for sure. Hard to tell with the other pieces in that photo.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big piece in the 3rd photo may be a hammer stone for making stools, or a core piece from which tools were made from, but I cant see the bottom. If its nice and round it, could be a hammerstone or a core. If its flat or mostly flat on bottom, Id say scraper/cutting tool or just lithic debris.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a couple more small scrapers at the center of the 4th photo, the rest looks like debris to me.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photo on the left, in the 2nd row of photos shows another nice big scraper in the 2nd row, 2nd artifact from the left.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photos at the bottom look like cutting tools, except for the gray one in the 2nd photo from the left, which looks more like a scraper to me.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find things like this all the time while out walking in the woods and creeks in north Arkansas.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find things like this all the time while out walking in the woods and creeks in north Arkansas.

Look around those areas closely and you might find something. There are many large areas here in AZ with lithic debris scattered all over. Thousands of pieces, often with little broken pottery sherds and other artifacts mixed in. We also have other areas along the streams where there is lots of gravel that looks very much like lithic debris, but is not. You can tell by how the rocks are broken. All of this stuff in the photos are artifacts.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a mixture to me some worked some not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread