I'm heating up

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a pretty slow spring,and was getting a little discouraged. I only found a few scrapers and 2 little crude points. Crops are beginning to come off now and some of my better spots are starting to be lookable now. We had some flooding this summer along the river that runs through the county and Mother Nature uncovered the celt for me (my first and only so far) and the little white chert point (man what a tip on that thing). The black blade is my best find ever. A guy I work with told me a few weeks ago one of the spots we hunt was just deep plowed and he wanted to go there after work. Well the day he said that we got 3 inches of rain during the day and stopped raining at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. We got there after work with dreams of smokers this was 4 o'clock. Much to our dismay we get out in the field and it's already been gridded off by another guy in town. My buddy was heart broken that we had been beaten to this "honey hole". Since we were there I said I was gonna walk it anyway just work the opposite direction than the other guy went. He agreed and I told him I've found some points in fields this guy has beaten me to in the past (he's good and has a great collection) but he don't find em all I said. So off we go and on my second pass I see a little worked edge sticking out so I bend down and give it a little wiggle and a bunch of sand wiggled too. That's when I got real excited and pull out this 3 3/4 inch black blade that is perfect. I look around and I'm right in between the other guys two passes I screamed see harry I told you he don't get em all. Man I was shaking,as I said it's my best find as I mostly find small points field grade type stuff. Didn't have my phone to take an institu as the skies looked like rain. Anyone have thoughts on the blade, hopewell or adena maybe? I have a feeling there are more out there but don't want to disturb soil and give the other guy any clue as to the spot it came from (I made sure he heard he walked by it lol). I found the penny in the same field probably 50ft from the blade. The coin isn't real special I don't think but I think it's neat it was made 3 years before the town I live in became a town. Nw Ohio finds on private land with permission thanks for the read.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that blade is gorgeous ....good for you it will make a nice center piece for a display the coin is cool too... I'm sure there's much more to be found too

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all great. Tear it up, Nwoh!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did well but you just wonder what the other guy found. Maybe you'll beat him next time. Good luck!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you will be dreaming of that hunt tonight

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn i say heating up ... Your on fire

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That black blade is gorgeous and the celt is as well.. I like crusty old Indian Heads too. You are finding some nice quality pieces.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a beautiful Archaic Blade maybe a Cobbs. Nice well used Celt to but any of those finds would of made my trip.

OP
OP
N

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish that was one hunts worth of artifacts but those represent 4 different hunts.

Scruggs... I don't worry too much about what others find in spots I look as I feel that that blade was meant for me to pick up that's why the other guy missed it and whatever he found were meant for him.

I had hoped some of my fellow Ohioans would comment on this post with some ideas about the blade. Rock mentioned archaic which was my first thought by the flaking but I really don't know.

Happy hunting everyone get out there and rescue some artifacts.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish that was one hunts worth of artifacts but those represent 4 different hunts.

Scruggs... I don't worry too much about what others find in spots I look as I feel that that blade was meant for me to pick up that's why the other guy missed it and whatever he found were meant for him.

I had hoped some of my fellow Ohioans would comment on this post with some ideas about the blade. Rock mentioned archaic which was my first thought by the flaking but I really don't know.

Happy hunting everyone get out there and rescue some artifacts.

I looked at the flaking on it. 1 side of it there is a long strike that goes all the way across towards the base. That long strike I find on all of my archaic pieces. Woodland is all scattered flaking.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful finds. And just the largie alone would have me doing a happy dance.:coffee2:

OP
OP
N

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you rock for the information, I wasn't in any way discounting your original statement of it being archaic I hope you didn't take it that way. I like the thought of it being an unnotched Thebes or dovetail ( I know kind of a stretch) but hey.

And to ken believe me I was doin the happy dance.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we have more Iowa that Ohio! :laughing7: Just kidding. Cobbs ? I did not think of that and have several. Possible.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you rock for the information, I wasn't in any way discounting your original statement of it being archaic I hope you didn't take it that way. I like the thought of it being an unnotched Thebes or dovetail ( I know kind of a stretch) but hey.

And to ken believe me I was doin the happy dance.

i dont worry about somebody disagreeing with me i tell what i see and they make their own decision from their.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Nice finds. The glossy black flint is Zaleski and is a great example. Both blades are likely Archaic. I like the hard stone celt as well.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont worry about somebody disagreeing with me i tell what i see and they make their own decision from their.

And you could be correct to but there is secondary flaking on the edges so I was thinking old knife type. I dont find many nice preforms so it didnt cross my mind as one but could be. Its a beauty thats for sure. Could of been more if it is a preform. Go back to that location and have another look around might be stacked.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the killer finds!

That black point is way awesome sir.

Top Member Reactions