Things I Found Today

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Green Frost said:
I went outside for about an hour today, and came back with these. Don't know what a lot of it is so any help would be great . Wow ,I couldn,t pick up that many rocks in an hour!But I,m sorry to say that it looks like a bunch of geofacts, and rocks,though some are right pretty. Jeff

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
I can pick up that many rocks in an hours...because I did, and this site is a known site so I know there not just "rocks." I have many artifact books, that I compare my findings to. So in that case I know for a fact they are not just "rocks." I will post some clearer pictures for you guys soon, or you can just take a closer look.

Thanks

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i know that all of them are rocks thats a fact.maybe some indian artifacts need better pics.

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
steve71 said:
i know that all of them are rocks thats a fact.maybe some indian artifacts need better pics.

Lol, Hope no one takes advice from you then. 8)

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
Also in the 3rd picture up from the bottom, you can clearly see, chipped peices of arrowheads, and 3 scrapers.

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Green Frost said:
steve71 said:

Lol, Hope no one takes advice from you then. 8)

You really should reread that statement. Clearly everything in your pics is made of rock, rather they are indian artifacts seems to be debatable. I am far from an expert, but most of those look like plain old rocks. ::)

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Green Frost said:

Man, not to rain on your parade, but they really don't look like the "rocks" you have. But you show me in your pics where you have an almost perfectly geometric, finely drilled pendant, or a celt, or a pestle, and then i'll agree with you. but from looking at the pictures you posted. There might be a few chipped flakes but nothing like the artifacts in the links you posted.

Keep looking and good luck

xstevenx

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
Well here is a picture that I have drawn on pointing out a few things, maybe you guys can see now. I will take some closer pictures when I get off work, and draw on them also so you guys can understand.

Also my "site" is known indian territory. I walk outside and find arrowheads/artifacts left and right. I have many Indian mounds surrouding me. I have also taken many of my findings to the local college and they have identified them as artifacts as well.
Thanks.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Green Frost said:
Well here is a picture that I have drawn on pointing out a few things, maybe you guys can see now. I will take some closer pictures when I get off work, and draw on them also so you guys can understand.

Also my "site" is known indian territory. I walk outside and find arrowheads/artifacts left and right. I have many Indian mounds surrouding me. I have also taken many of my findings to the local college and they have identified them as artifacts as well.
Thanks.
Wow!If that is a celt in your landscaping rock picture, then I,m going to donate my drveway to the smithsonian!!I really am sorry to rain on your parade,but can you give me the name of your local college please.I want to be sure not to send my kids there lol.I don,t care if you live on top of an Indian mound and Tecumseh is your next door neighbor,those are nothing but rocks!!! There is alot of very knowledgable peope on here., who know alot more than I do about Indian artifacts.Why do you ask for advice when you seem to be the smartest one on here? Jeff

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
I just like to see what ppl say. As well as show my findings.
and there not rocks lol srry.
Do a lil research, give me some reasons for them being "rocks"..proof??

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
Lets dont get into rock kicking contest. Tell ya what. You asked for opinions and got them. Individualize the ones that you are confident about and get some better pics . Hey man we want to believe you have something to. We arent trying to rain on your parade. Get those pics and you show us which ones you think might be something. In the meantime I am going to put together the same collection you have and show you what we see.

P

pickaway

If ya like em keep em.
hey in the last pic the perfect round peice on the left can we get a closeup of that it might be something?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
They are all "rocks" (per definition). However, only a few of them are modified by human hands, which would make them an artifact. Most of them are what's termed geofacts, shaped by natural forces. Some of them do appear to be modified pieces, spalls, debitage. Judging from all of the debitage, you may be hunting a quarry site. Bad thing about quary sites is that you will find a ton of lithic debris, but very few nice complete artifacts.

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Green Frost, dude I'm sorry, but I've got to agree with everyone else. I do see a few things that have been worked, but the vast majority I'm sad to say are just rocks. I do see some bone, and at least one tooth, which are cool finds. As far as the what you are calling a Celt, I'm sorry, it's not even close. I've attached a picture from A Field Guide To Stone Artifacts Of Texas Indians by Ellen Turner and Thomas Hester. And to avoid the inevitable argument, Celts will look similar no matter where your at. Just because you find a rock, even in a known camp site, does not mean it is an artifact. Look, you asked for advise. I know that several people on this site are very knowledgeable on this subject, and from experience on this site and others, they want to pass on their knowledge. So listen to them. You might start by picking out some individual finds you feel certain about and posting individual pictures of them from differant angles. If these folks say its just a rock, the chalk it up as a cool looking rock. And take that from a guy who has found a bunch of cool looking rocks that I've tried to fit into the artifact category. That's my 2 cents worth, Razor

Attachments

• Celt Description.jpg
    Celt Description.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 458

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread