Quartz Triangle and Scraper

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To say my local sites are played out is putting it mildly. Once in a blue moon though. This week's moon low tides let the Mrs. and I wade out to a sandbar in the bay, where she found a decent thin triangle. A little resharpening of the tip. The scraper I found a couple weeks ago on another beach site....

Triangle is a Woodland era Levanna.

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , those low tides have been nice. I don't find many Levannas made from Quartz. Did you guys just surface hunt or do some sifting as well?

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds , those low tides have been nice. I don't find many Levannas made from Quartz. Did you guys just surface hunt or do some sifting as well?

Thanks. We surface hunt. But, every Summer, on my vacation, we used to spend one day screening river bottom on the tidal river where my childhood summer home was located. Many family members still live on the river, so access was easy. And we always found points, mostly quartz. But, other then that, we just surface hunt. Most of our Levannas are quartz; it's the most common lithic here in RI. This frame is some of the surface finds from the sandbar where the quartz triangle came from...

IMG_8494.JPG

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one's. the Levanna is very nice. Haven't had the good fortune to find one yet myself. Tell the Mrs. congrats.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My two favorite Levannas from this sand bar. I found the quartz one on a moon low tide on a day when the wind chill was 20 below zero. Found it as soon as I reached the bar, put it in my pocket, and headed right back to the car, lol. My wife found the other one, probably our best Levanna. Made of hornfels...

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_8502.JPG

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow really nice finds , how bout that large blade in the top row 4th from left side. Looks early archaic or older any info on it?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Rhode Island artifacts. Your sites sound like mine. I have found two good, whole Points since April.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow really nice finds , how bout that large blade in the top row 4th from left side. Looks early archaic or older any info on it?

Thanks. The base is broke on one side, it's hard to say. It could just be a Greene point, which is Woodland. But I've always wondered about that one myself. This little quartzite point is the oldest point I know of from the site. But I've got a brass or copper triangle too, so it really runs the gamut from Paleo to Contact.

IMG_2820.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking Rhode Island artifacts. Your sites sound like mine. I have found two good, whole Points since April.

Thanks. Yeah, the "good ole days" have up and gone around here, lol. It's been fun, lot of years now....

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking at this one but that ones nice too.
View attachment 1502162

Oh yeah, I knew you were talking about that one. That's the one I was describing might be a Greene point, which is a Woodland period lanceolate point, and not early. But I'm not certain, and, like I said I have wondered about the type and age of that one myself. Greene is likely the best bet. The small fluted point is not in the frame with the others, I just knew it was the earliest I was certain of from that particular location.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, noteworthy especially because your wife was with you, unless I had a bottle of wine and some marinated meat and the grill I doubt my wife would follow with me to the hunting ground's. But that's all right those occasions are awesome as well.
Considering you live in a lithic poor geographical area you have accumulated some pretty nice points. While quartz artifacts are usually pretty crude you have several there are very well detailed. May your success increas!.

Last edited:

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds you dont see too many quartz points that finely made the dark colored one is a smoker too congrats! And thanks for showing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread