tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday it was nice close to 78° day, so I thought I'd head out to my little site and have a look around. I searched the area for a while and look up and saw this beanpole of a fella walking towards me. It looked like he was packing a sidearm, but it was a radio on one side and mace spray on the other and he had a Texas ranger looking hat on. Well he'd been watching me and he was a Parks & Open Space Ranger. He told me the place I'm at is off limits and lease to the oil and gas companies. He also said it's a place where the borrowing owls are nesting. I said I knew that and showed him a pictures of some I've seen around the area. He thought that was pretty cool. He was pretty nice and said he wished he could tell me it's okay to enjoy the peace and solitude of these low bluffs, but rules are rules. I guess my research of the ancients of the past that once lived around here is over now. Told him it's a bummer, but I'll no longer be seen around here again and being the little owls are rare in the county it's best I guess to not upset them. Now I'll have to go farther away to hunt for artifacts. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_132624.jpg
    IMG_20170629_132624.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain.. Being 56 years old I can remember the day when I knew all of my neighbors and they knew me and I didn't need permission to wander anywhere I pleased as long as I respected their property...

Right there with you at 57, brother. Those were definitely better times. As far as the prospect of gaining permission from large corporations, the chances are probably pretty slim, since it seems that decisions of that nature are driven solely by liability. Speaking of earlier days, I remember when lawyers couldn't advertise, at least in Georgia. After that changed, it's been downhill ever since.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a shame, but its happening more and more. At least you were able to enjoy the beautiful owls.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up that way this past weekend. I couldn't believe the growth. My friend has a older house around Quincy and 82nd. I grew up in Golden. I can't believe all the houses!! We passed by the guy who was killed by the rattlesnake! So sad to happen to such an inspirational person. I wonder if you could contact the companies to get permission? I hope you find some good places to hunt, maybe it will lead to happier hunting grounds!!! Colorado is sure becoming popular.
The site really isn't worth all the hassle. It was fun because it was close by and interesting to know that I could find evidence of these ancient peoples within all this urban sprawl. The ranger did say the land was owned by the county and they have no planes to allow it to be developed. I guess I can thank the burrowing owl for that one. I only saw two occupied owl burrows, but the ranger said there were 4 that they know of and would like to see more around, so I guess that's really why he was there asking people to stay away.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The site really isn't worth all the hassle. It was fun because it was close by and interesting to know that I could find evidence of these ancient peoples within all this urban sprawl. The ranger did say the land was owned by the county and they have no planes to allow it to be developed. I guess I can thank the burrowing owl for that one. I only saw two occupied owl burrows, but the ranger said there were 4 that they know of and would like to see more around, so I guess that's really why he was there asking people to stay away.

County land is probably off limits for you anyway. I found this notation on a page dealing with archaeology in Colorado:

"The collection of any prehistoric or historic artifacts from public lands (federal, tribal, state, county or city) is prohibited except by qualified archaeologists working under the terms of a current permit. Collecting on private land is, technically, legal with the landowner's permission but is discouraged. Also, collecting artifacts of any kind found in association with human remains is forbidden, regardless of land ownership. In keeping with this preservation philosophy, no appraisals of artifacts' monetary value is available from History Colorado. While collecting artifacts is discouraged, the opposite is true when it comes to learning about our cultural heritage. To satisfy your urge to know more about archaeology, consider attending PAAC coursesand/or reading one of the many fine books on the subject. Bibliographies on the subjects covered in all 13 PAAC courses are available on our web site"

Commonly Asked Questions for the Office of the State Archaeologist | History Colorado

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes its hard to get permission. 1st you have to find out who owns the property then if its leased out you have to find out who leased it. Then you have to get permission from the land owner 1st and if they say its okay you have to go to the people that leased it and if they say yes you are in. But if one or the other says no you are out. Even if its a yes there is always rules you have to follow. The rule I hate the most is no walking on the weekends in most of my spots due to family get togethers but there is always rules to follow on each and every property. Hope you can get permission next time its always more fun to be able to take your time than to worry about who is walking up on you.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear the bad news. That just down right sucks! Got to think of all the enjoyment you got out of it while you could though. Maybe a even better door will open for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread