Native American?

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell0:)

If one may take a few minutes of your time and consideration?

Ohio is a Clay Shale Sandstone State with Glacier Erratic...........

Believe this might be French Buhr? While it looks like Chert it isn't, and it's not native to are area, unless it was from a Glacier Erratic

Local research suggests it came form an area near outside of Paris France.........A nearby Grist Mill existed in 1820 which later became a sawmill around 1852, then a steam mill in 1890 and by 1900 was completely gone.....

Thou this was located about 150 yards up form that location......

French Buhr was used in the millstones which was preferred over sandstone......

Samples Outer/Inner

054.JPG 055.JPG

Main Bodies of Sample:

043.JPG 044.JPG

Like to add:

A friend of mine thinks this is my best discovery to date this year................Had to move these stones a 150 years back down the river to the road........

That was at least 125 pounds........With the gear at 30..........He pushed for me to bring these out.............

Since a Adena/Hopwell site existed 50 yards away from the discovery he thinks it's Native American.........He wanted me to ask here in the section other people's opinions etc.

They are rough on the other side and not the same thickness.........

045.JPG

Any thoughts or comments would be helpful. Thank you for your time and consideration:)

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two large things kind of look like broken mill stones, but I dont know why they would be squared like that, instead of round around the edge like all the others ive seen.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, pieces of broken millstones. Not round millstones though, probably the octagon shaped style or similar. Both show "fields" and "furrows" i.e. Sections of radiating grooves.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some examples of octagon millstones and also of the fields and furrows on some millstones... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508734779.975564.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508734804.830299.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508734821.539056.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra Hotel

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Old Pueblo Thank you for the reply @ Mark Todd Thanks for the reply and pictures......

The irregular shapes is interesting.............Apparently French Burh was loaded on unto French ships as Ballast jettisoned on the American East Coast and then ships were reloaded with cargo back to France..........

Stone Masons/Millers took the pieces and put them together with an iron ban.........These stones cost more than the property and grist mill itself........Being 1820 it was hauled by a boat wagon to an area.

6e11042be202039d3193b7a1e7afda40.jpg

Support showing it to being parts of a Millstone:

92865460.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra Hotel

Sierra Hotel

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct match of pieces...........We were having a really hard time with these cuts and irregular shapes.........There must have been a master template

match.jpg

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say you have it. That has to be it. Really nice finds. There are several of them from the Spanish colonial times outside a museum near me, so they've always interested me.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your two pieces and the "BURHSTONE" all look like the same kind of stone, in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread