Indian Mound

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say so. The mound may be a burial site, so you definitely dont want to dig into it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are mounds here in indiana. they are thought to have been mostly used as ceremonial sites

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes hunt the creeks and any areas you can around it. If it is by water it may just be a shell miden mound. If you have permission check it out. I have a mound at my sisters I have been contemplating for some time. I find artifacts in the creeks and along the cattle and horse trails.
Private property no evidence of burials.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is in fact a burial mound they lived close by but probably not right there. I believe they buried their dead on their sacred grounds, like hunting grounds for example. Could just be a old rock pile from a old road, crop fields etc. To determine the probability of it being a burial mound you have to first look at its location and what's around it. In other words is it on a hill side or top? Or is there any other reason that the mound might be there. Indication of a old road close by? Farm fields? Old foundation?

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s right next to waterway that’s dried up a lot over the years in woods on a farm I will take pictures next time out

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They werent all burial mounds but even a mound they built up to keep the water from going over their camp area wont have many artifacts on it. Id look in the creek and the areas around it. How tall is the mound and how big around is it? You have to remember just cause the creek is small today back when they lived on that mound the water might of flowed quite well.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s right next to waterway that’s dried up a lot over the years in woods on a farm I will take pictures next time out
I would say probably not if it is in a bottom close to water.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed your from Maryland , now I am really curious to see it. What part of MD are you from? I'm over on the eastern shore

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I was born and raised in Harford County, and I don't recall ever hearing of any pre-historic mounds locate there. If it is near a waterway, currently dried up, or not, it is probably a location where you can find artifacts. I would concentrate on the farm fields if you have permission, and if there is any soil showing. Any relatively flat areas within a half mile of so of Winters, Bynum's, or James Run's are likely places. Along Swan Creek, or Bush River would be places to look as well. In the northern part of the county along Deer or Broad Creek, or any of their smaller order tributaries would be likely sots, but relatively flat ground is scarcer, and sites not as easy to find there in my limited experience. Good luck, and post some photos of your finds.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born and raised in Harford County, and I don't recall ever hearing of any pre-historic mounds locate there. If it is near a waterway, currently dried up, or not, it is probably a location where you can find artifacts. I would concentrate on the farm fields if you have permission, and if there is any soil showing. Any relatively flat areas within a half mile of so of Winters, Bynum's, or James Run's are likely places. Along Swan Creek, or Bush River would be places to look as well. In the northern part of the county along Deer or Broad Creek, or any of their smaller order tributaries would be likely sots, but relatively flat ground is scarcer, and sites not as easy to find there in my limited experience. Good luck, and post some photos of your finds.

That was kind of you to share that information and be so specific. Nice post sir.

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed thanks for the feedback I live in HarfordCounty however the farm I metal detect is in Cecil. From the feedback I think it’s a shell mound. I will investigate further.
Thanks again to all.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am from Harford County as well redbeardrelics covered all of the nearby spots. I have frequent all of of them. I have come across two suspect “mounds” in Harford County where I have found artifacts in the vicinity but can’t confirm or deny that they are legitimate mounds. They are for sure not documented but very suspect in my opinion. I had the opportunity to share them with another member BSIT and he shares my curiosity. Who knows guess I will never know for sure. A lot of of shell midden mounds have been documented around Swan Creek on base at the proving ground and along the Chesapeake.

discoidal roller

May 4, 2012
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks , looks interesting I'll read thru it tonight

heres a tidbit...

"For their ordinary burials, they dig a deepe hole in the earth with sharpe stakes, and the corpse being lapped in skins and mats with their iewels, they lay them upon stickes in the ground, and so cover them with earth. The buriall ended, the women being painted all their faces with blacke cole and oyle, doe sit twenty-foure houres in the houses mourning and lamenting by turnes, with such yelling and howling, as may expresse their great passions." - Captain John Smith - Observation on the Virginia Algonkians, 1607-1609

"As documented among the Huron, the burial rite began by placing the body of the deceased in a temporary burial area. Here, the body was either placed on a raised scaffold or buried in the ground. Periodically (accounts vary from 8 to 12 years), a village or group of villages would convene for a final interment ceremony. At this time, the remains from the temporary cemeteries would be collected, stripped of any remaining flesh, and prepared for reburial in a communal pit during the Feast of the Dead. Preparation for this ceremony included feasting, dancing, and games. Actual interment in the ossuary included lining the pit with skins and robes, depositing gifts such as kettles, beads, and necklaces, and finally emptying the collected bags of bones into the grave."

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the type of mound it is. That can often be difficult to tell until a few test holes or trenches are dug. In general, stay away from the mounds. The do gooders are making examples of those caught digging them and you could end up losing everything.
Deepsix47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread