Opinions?

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some rocks found at the property I hunt. I believe they are both basalt even though the orange rock looks like sandstone I think it is a red basalt. I have had some positive feedback just wanted to see what you guy's think. I have had a rough couple of years between living in my car my dad dying this hobby and learning every day has kept me going. I am not trying to be candid but I have acted up and not respected opinions and have been out of line reacting to some unpleasant comments directed my way a couple times in the past in which I provoked.

20171009_090349.jpg 20171009_090412.jpg 20171009_095522.jpg 20171023_111224.jpg 20171023_111203.jpg 20171023_111039.jpg 20171023_111245.jpg 20171023_111456.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The light one looks for sure worked to me but I'm no expert

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey sorry to hear bout your dad I just lost mine this past year and I know how tough it is. Also it takes a lot of guts to take responsibility for Past mistakes so thanks for that. As far as the pictures go the triangle one has a really interesting edge on it that reminds me of a Celt or adze but the rest doesn't look rite.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to get my bearings on the second piece, but it sure looks like a celt that was broken and reworked into something else. Sorry about your daddy and it's good to have you back.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to see the bottom of the dark one cause the top portion looks natural and the 2nd one looks like a chopping tool by the edge looking like a Celt bit but I dont see any polish on it so not real sure.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey sorry to hear bout your dad I just lost mine this past year and I know how tough it is. Also it takes a lot of guts to take responsibility for Past mistakes so thanks for that. As far as the pictures go the triangle one has a really interesting edge on it that reminds me of a Celt or adze but the rest doesn't look rite.

Sorry to hear about your father as well and thank you.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to get my bearings on the second piece, but it sure looks like a celt that was broken and reworked into something else. Sorry about your daddy and it's good to have you back.

Thanks Sandchip highly appreciated!

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dark circular one is most likely a "net weight".

Those were my thoughts we have a lot of them here. Charmstones/plummets/netweights.

Here is a full grooved netweight the ends are notched. Personal find.

20171105_121347.jpg 20171105_121256.jpg

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to see the bottom of the dark one cause the top portion looks natural and the 2nd one looks like a chopping tool by the edge looking like a Celt bit but I dont see any polish on it so not real sure.

Hi Rock thanks for the look and yeah the first thing I noticed when I found it was the lack of polish. Good eye. Here are a couple more pics of the bottom and outside . If you open the pics you can see a white film {patina} I believe on the surface. My thoughts were the celt/adze looking rock was pecked into shape and smoothed. It bevels more on one side then the other so my thoughts were adze. Also celts are rare here. There is one area that was not smoothed as well and you can see what possibly could be peck marks.

20171105_121650.jpg 20171105_121715.jpg 20171105_122022.jpg 20171105_121903.jpg 20171023_114733.jpg

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know there are some real nice mother nature made rocks out there. I hate to even tell you cause I know you look real hard to find artifacts and it really pains me to say this but even your net weight is natural. I just want to let you know it gives me no pleasure to tell you that and I hope one day you will find a real nice artifact. I have been in your shoes before and sometimes you just arent in the rite area and have to move to another. I wish you the best of luck, rock

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Context would help. Where they were found, are they local stones, etc.
In north Florida and South Georgia, where stones are naturally scarce, they were coveted and traded for by natives. If I found anything like those it would be significant and completely out-of-place, so context means a great deal.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Context would help. Where they were found, are they local stones, etc.
In north Florida and South Georgia, where stones are naturally scarce, they were coveted and traded for by natives. If I found anything like those it would be significant and completely out-of-place, so context means a great deal.

Hi Georgia the first thing I do when I see a possible artifact is look at the type of material and look for workmanship. I have a geological map of the area. That being said I still struggle to identify some rocks. Both the original rocks I believe are basalt and if not basalt are rare because I don't find these types here. Basalt was a major trade item. Local Indians traded shells here for basalt,obsidian and other igneous materials. We don't have much flint here and our local chert is Franciscan chert which is hard to work so when used it was heat treated. So arrowheads are hard to find.

Also both of what I think are netweights and I will reiterate think are textbook examples from charts I have of local net weights. The original one does not show pecking and has an odd texture. There are some odd scrapes and a waxy texture reminiscent of some heat treated materials that I find. The grooved one shows a mixture of cortex and skin ground smooth and polished. Inside the groove you only see cortex which means that either mother nature worked it or it was worked by man. Also there's no doubt that they were found at a site. As they are both textbook and found at a site if natural they would be great finds by the Natives. And considering Native American sites here go back 14000 years the same rocks I look at in the creek i'm sure were looked at by Natives.

At the bottom of the chart there are what are referred to as knobbed plummets they lack the groove. Thanks for the look!

charmstonetyp.56142756.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know there are some real nice mother nature made rocks out there. I hate to even tell you cause I know you look real hard to find artifacts and it really pains me to say this but even your net weight is natural. I just want to let you know it gives me no pleasure to tell you that and I hope one day you will find a real nice artifact. I have been in your shoes before and sometimes you just arent in the rite area and have to move to another. I wish you the best of luck, rock

Hi Rock I came here for opinions and that's what I got. Can't ask for more. I only showed more pics because you asked. Yes it pains me to hear because I look up to you. And just in case I missed an opportunity to learn something what were you looking for on the bottom of the knobbed looking rock?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rock I came here for opinions and that's what I got. Can't ask for more. I only showed more pics because you asked. Yes it pains me to hear because I look up to you. And just in case I missed an opportunity to learn something what were you looking for on the bottom of the knobbed looking rock?

I was looking for signs of grinding on the bottom but didnt see any.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for signs of grinding on the bottom but didnt see any.
Hi Rock i fully understand i too looked for signs of pecking or grinding and did not see any. If you look closely you can see some odd scrapes and the texture is very unique in hand so my thoughts were it could have been heat treated. Or 1 of mother natures finest. Thanks for the response and you know i appreciate you looking. Thanks Rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread